Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail

Post by limdis on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:38 pm
([msg=76740]see Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail[/msg])

If you use TOR, read this now.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rlo0uu

Discuss.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail

Post by centip3de on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 pm
([msg=76741]see Re: Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail[/msg])

limdis wrote:If you use TOR, read this now.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rlo0uu

Discuss.

Welp, there goes the neighborhood.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Re: Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:34 am
([msg=76744]see Re: Half of all TOR sites shutdown, including Tormail[/msg])

Reading up on this more, it seems to have been a JavaScript 0 day exploit used by a form of law enforcement.
I totally agree with taking those disgusting pedophiles out of there, however is this the right approach? If they are going around manipulating software and taking advantage of the users, who knows what else they are doing? I guess you can never be too secure, even when you are using some of the best software. You shouldn't really be using Firefox version 17 at this date anyways, but it seems that's what the latest Tor bundle had been using. I guess it's nice to just download Tor alone and use it alongside the most updated version of Firefox, by changing the configuration settings to connect to the port tor is running on, which is what I had been doing. That and making sure to keep JavaScript disabled on those Deepweb sites. When you are on the Deepweb, and something is asking for JavaScript, it's best to just avoid it in my opinion. Most of the users on the Deepweb are familiar with the fact that JavaScript is something that can easily be manipulated to exploit users. It's is a big portion of the payloads and malware that exists today. Knowing this, they should and usually do offer an alternative by not using JavaScript on the website.
So, is anyone else a bit disturbed about the fact of "them" using exploits to get the information they want, when they can't do it otherwise?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General