Tracing Activity on the web

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Tracing Activity on the web

Post by oromis95 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 am
([msg=76694]see Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

Hello smart people! I have a question to ask you crawlers of the web. Lets say I decide to work for the government one day (Ex. CIA). Of course they do all kinds of background checks... So does anyone know how they track you down? And in detail, is there a way they could trace all of your internet activity? I mean for example using past IP addresses, or something like that.
oromis95
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Tracing Activity on the web

Post by centip3de on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am
([msg=76702]see Re: Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

oromis95 wrote:Hello smart people! I have a question to ask you crawlers of the web. Lets say I decide to work for the government one day (Ex. CIA). Of course they do all kinds of background checks... So does anyone know how they track you down? And in detail, is there a way they could trace all of your internet activity? I mean for example using past IP addresses, or something like that.

In order to track all of your activity they would have to go through your ISP, who may or may not (but probably does) have records of all Internet activity based on IP. Then it would be as simple as matching IP's to IP's.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by oromis95 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:57 pm
([msg=76709]see Re: Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

Ok, thanks a lot.
oromis95
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 am
([msg=76711]see Re: Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

It's a bit more complex than that. When you apply for positions like that (or go military) you have to provide a significant amount of information about yourself willingly. Afterwards they go through and make contact with all the people you know, neighbors, friends, family, etc. to get your life habits. As far as what Cent said, depending on the level of access you need they may or may not go through that data.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by oromis95 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:53 pm
([msg=76722]see Re: Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

Well lets say they do decide they feel the need to go through your internet information. Is the fact that they need to ask the ISP for permission all there is to know about it?
oromis95
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:27 pm
([msg=76738]see Re: Tracing Activity on the web[/msg])

Well, is used to be that they needed a warrant to get that information. Even with a background check happening (unless you were really high up) they wouldn't pull your internet traffic from your ISP. But today things are different, odds are they already have that information. Just keep in mind though that an IP address is not a name, or a face, its just to a location...
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to General