How would you Ddos?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How would you Ddos?

Post by DrRoach on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 am
([msg=76302]see How would you Ddos?[/msg])

I'm only asking because I'm interested in how they work but when I try and find something online to do with DDOSing they're just pages on how to prevent it. I want to know how you'd do it, I know there's programmes like low orbit ion cannon but can DDOSs be done with command prompt for example? Any information would be much appreciated.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am
([msg=76303]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:I'm only asking because I'm interested in how they work but when I try and find something online to do with DDOSing they're just pages on how to prevent it. I want to know how you'd do it, I know there's programmes like low orbit ion cannon but can DDOSs be done with command prompt for example? Any information would be much appreciated.


Today, to take down someone's service, you will need more than just to ping them from command prompt (unless you have a bunch of users doing this.). The way a DDOS attack work is fairly simple, in a nutshell, you flood the target machine with more information than it can handle, which will cause it to stall out, and not respond.

Now, most of the DDOS attacks come from the owner's of botnets, which have several compromised systems, in which they use to flood a certain machine's traffic. However, this is not the only option, for websites, things such as slowloris is an option as well. You can use perl to write a pretty quick script to send packets of data to an IP address, which if done over multiple systems, may prove to be of some small use, but not as powerfull as a botnet. You could use a shell booter, by flooding a machine with other shells, etc, etc. The list goes on. The rule is simple: Multiple machines, sending a lot of data to one machine.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by DrRoach on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:58 pm
([msg=76355]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

How would you create botnets because don't you need people to download software containing a botnet onto their computer and wouldn't their antiviruses then just immediately discard the file? Or do I have the wrong idea about botnets?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by centip3de on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm
([msg=76358]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:How would you create botnets because don't you need people to download software containing a botnet onto their computer and wouldn't their antiviruses then just immediately discard the file? Or do I have the wrong idea about botnets?


Botnets are when certain software, be it a virii, trojan horse, or any other type of software use a certain computers network connection to participate in a DDOS attack. So, yes, you do need to have them download and run a program onto their computer (although it would be possible to gain access to their computer and upload and run it yourself). Also, there are plenty of ways to get around antivirus software.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by DrRoach on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 am
([msg=76415]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

Botnets are when certain software, be it a virii, trojan horse, or any other type of software use a certain computers network connection to participate in a DDOS attack. So, yes, you do need to have them download and run a program onto their computer (although it would be possible to gain access to their computer and upload and run it yourself). Also, there are plenty of ways to get around antivirus software.


How would you go about creating a botnet? Do you just write a programme, that duplicates itself for example, and add it into someones startup folder on installation?

My example there wouldn't be a botnet of course but is getting it running the same idea?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by centip3de on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:45 am
([msg=76424]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:How would you go about creating a botnet? Do you just write a programme, that duplicates itself for example, and add it into someones startup folder on installation?

My example there wouldn't be a botnet of course but is getting it running the same idea?


Eh? You just described a virus that would only infect one computer, however the trick is getting it to spread to multiple others. Also, in order to control your botnet, you need the program to be able to send/receive messages to/from you and then be able to act on those messages (such as sending them all the command: "go to website x.x.com/images.html" and then for them to actually do that.).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by DrRoach on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 pm
([msg=76429]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Eh? You just described a virus that would only infect one computer, however the trick is getting it to spread to multiple others. Also, in order to control your botnet, you need the program to be able to send/receive messages to/from you and then be able to act on those messages (such as sending them all the command: "go to website x.x.com/images.html" and then for them to actually do that.).


Yeah I realized that once I'd said it :/ and how would you make a program receive and send commands to your computer ? and also could you make it so that the now infected computer could pass the botnet onto any multimedia that's plugged in like a usb and then when that usb is plugged into a new machine, it too is infected?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by hellow533 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:07 am
([msg=76431]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

There's been something floating around that there's a Slowloris-type of software that works with non-Apache servers. It clogs up systems by forcing connections to stay open for X amount of time, so you don't need a botnet. I really don't know much about it, I only recently heard about it.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
User avatar
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:47 am
([msg=76432]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:There's been something floating around that there's a Slowloris-type of software that works with non-Apache servers. It clogs up systems by forcing connections to stay open for X amount of time, so you don't need a botnet. I really don't know much about it, I only recently heard about it.


The reason a botnet would come in handy would be to flood and DDoS a regular persons port, opposed to web servers. A botnet also allows you to do anything you could do with the victims as well, such as monitoring their network, keylog them, use them as a pivot point for future attacks, etc, etc. Slowloris brings down the site using http requests (I believe), and it is not possible to do this to a normal user without a server on the machine.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: How would you Ddos?

Post by ghost107 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:05 am
([msg=76433]see Re: How would you Ddos?[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:Yeah I realized that once I'd said it :/ and how would you make a program receive and send commands to your computer?


For that read about UDP(I said UDP, because UDP does not make a stable connection like TCP, so no connection limit)
ghost107
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests