How do I hide?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How do I hide?

Post by Axiom34 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 am
([msg=76165]see How do I hide?[/msg])

Hey guys,

I thought this might be the best place to ask this. Whats the best way to hide yourself online so that people who might be looking for you can't track you when your doing "stuff"? ok I guess I don't care if they know I'm online... I just don't want them to be able to track me.
Axiom34
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How do I hide?

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 am
([msg=76166]see Re: How do I hide?[/msg])

Axiom34 wrote:Hey guys,

I thought this might be the best place to ask this. Whats the best way to hide yourself online so that people who might be looking for you can't track you when your doing "stuff"? ok I guess I don't care if they know I'm online... I just don't want them to be able to track me.

I don't want to sound like a douche or anything, but...
Learn how to use the search function for the forums, seriously. It's not hard to figure out, and you can surprisingly find the answers to a lot of typical questions.

Moving on,

The first thing you want is a handle, (user name) of course. Make sure this handle has no ties to you whatsoever. An example is that if I was a football player, I wouldn't have things like football, running back, tight end, etc in my handle. Same goes for anything else such as birthdays or favorite numbers. Leave this stuff out, the less information they know of you, the best you will remain hidden. Another tricky solution is to pick out someone else's handle and use that, if available, for instance on here, you may be able to use the handle th3_j35t3r, and one might take an assumption that this is the real jester, making them wander off and spend wasted time on someone else.

Next up, you will want to give off false trails every once in a while for no reason. This is great for making people second guess who you actually are, and makes a doxer's job that much more harder.

You also want to keep your IP hidden while surfing the web, or using applications. There are several ways to do this, which can be done together, for the greatest security.
One way to do this is of course to get a VPN (virtual private network) something like openVPN works perfectly fine.
Next you will want to grab the tor bundle and/or tor with the vidalia panel. You can configure your browser to connect through the tor nodes through the proxy settings, which is usually 127.0.0.1:9050 and you need to specify it as a socks proxy most of the time, unless configured otherwise through something like polipo. Next, you can allow any application to be run through tor by using proxychains, and have it work through the tor port on 9050.

Another good idea is to change your mac address before doing anything as well, which can be done with the tool macchanger on some linux os such as Kali or Backtrack. You can do this by signaling your wifi down, using the command, bringing it back up, and reconnecting. i.e.

Code: Select all
sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
macchanger -r
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

You would then reconnect. The -r option will give you a random mac address, to specify your own, just use -m instead of -r such as "macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55:66"

Initiating attacks could be done over a VPN / VPS / Compromised Networks, just ensure that you leave no traces to the logs of these places when connecting or operating from them. Also, try and remove any existence of being there on the logs if possible. This could easily be done with some sed / awk work on the log files to only remove specific lines of the file, so that the logs remain in normal looking conditions.

Remember that when doing things from another machine the best goal in remaining hidden is to leave the machine in a state that is almost identical to how it was before you were there. So, you don't want to slow the machine down, clog up the logs, or make any other noticeable changes to the system which can be identified if possible.

I hope this helps...

but seriously bro, do you even search?
Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by hellow533 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 am
([msg=76169]see Re: How do I hide?[/msg])

To shorten what ninjex just threw at you.
Use a proxy
He recommended Tor (as do I)
Pick up proxychains (if on linux)
Use a user agent switcher/ghostery with Tor. (It should already have noscript)

No need for a VPN realistically, and changing your MAC address only spoofs your computer->router communication, which won't be very useful if it's your own network. Any red flags would still be raised under your name.
“True hacking is like skydiving, you want to make sure you have arms, because nobody’s going to be there to pull the chute for you.”
hellow533
Poster
Poster

Post by Axiom34 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 pm
([msg=76199]see Re: How do I hide?[/msg])

Hi, thanks guys for the advice... I'm sorry for not searching, I know I should have. part of the reason I didn't was cause I'm currently in the Philippines and my time online is limited so instead of searching for the answer I just asked so that next time I got on I'd know where to look right away. but next time I'll do my best to search first. I really appreciate you guys still taking the time to give me some advice even if I'm the 100,000th person to ask it...

thanks again.
Axiom34
New User
New User

Post by counterhash on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:01 am
([msg=76260]see Re: How do I hide?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:To shorten what ninjex just threw at you.
Use a proxy
He recommended Tor (as do I)
Pick up proxychains (if on linux)
Use a user agent switcher/ghostery with Tor. (It should already have noscript)

No need for a VPN realistically, and changing your MAC address only spoofs your computer->router communication, which won't be very useful if it's your own network. Any red flags would still be raised under your name.

One quick thing if you're still there OP, tor and any other ip mask / proxy can be very risky in terms of sensitive information. If I were you, I'd use tor alongside a VPN which should definitely be SSL tunnelled. If you're doing anything with other people, use cryoto for all communications, and most importantly is that although you'll be completely safe once you hit the VPN, your ISP still knows that you're connecting to a VPN and which one you're connecting to. If your VPN is one of those dick move comply with authorities types (read: based outside of Iceland or Sweden), then they may have logs of your traffic and all your hard work is nothing.

TL;DR: Certain tor exit nodes are just botnet spreaders, use a good VPN (AirVPN, personally) and DuckDuckGo
If you use del \system32\ and not rm - rf / you are quite clearly doing it wrong.
counterhash
New User
New User

Return to General