Computer Science Degree, Worth It?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Computer Science Degree, Worth It?

Post by jadecook on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 am
([msg=75431]see Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

I've been thinking about going to college. I wanted to either major in computer science and minor in chinese, or major in art and minor in philosophy. Polar oposites, I know right but I've been leaning more towards the computer science for the job factor, but is it really worth it? If I'm going to spend four or more years behind some books trying to get a piece of paper I want to know that I'm going to at least earn $100,000/year if not more. I do love coding, and I know quite a bit now. But there are somethings I just can't get a grasp on and I believe school could help me, and I also know if I tried harder I could probably just teach myself.

I guess what I'm trying to ask, is this piece of paper worth it?
jadecook
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?

Post by sordidarchetype on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 am
([msg=75433]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

It all depends on how you use it. Even if you get the paper, it won't guarantee 6 figures. But when you are vying for a position against another peer who doesn't have the degree, that piece of paper will make a difference (sometimes the defining difference). And the truth is, you want to learn the theories and details behind many of the technologies you want to work worth. There is a great deal of information that many people find difficult to acquire outside of an academic setting, and that's not something you want to miss. (Such details can provide you with the means to that 6 figure position).

Also know that 6 figures are hard to make these days, even for computer sciences (especially when you are outside big cities). If you are on that level, you have to be good at what you do (which leans again towards getting that paper.)

Just as a final note, a computer science degree will carry more weight than an art degree, and will probably be significantly more applicable to your needs.
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Post by 0phidian on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm
([msg=75434]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

I'm currently studying CS, and I can honsetly say that one can easily learn everything by yourself, as long as it interests you and you are motivated. I think it's ridiculousness how much you have to pay for something you can easily get yourself, but I guess your not actually paying for the knowledge your paying for the peice of paper. Sadly if you want a job you pretty much have to get that piece of paper. So I would recomend the degree for that reason. It is still good to learn on your own as well, I have definetly learned far more on my own than I have in college.

As far as art/philosophy vs cs, cs will have a much better job outlook. At the same time though, if you are really into art, I would hate to discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams.

-- Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:17 pm --

Also forgot to mention college has many other functions than just earning a degree. You will be exposed to many interesting people and ideas there, so it's also about personal growth.

-- Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm --

I notice a lot of people thinking about college are concerned with how much money they are going to make. In my opinion fuck money, just do what you love. Even if you make tons of money, is it worth getting up everyday and working at a job you hate and regreting not having pursued your dreams? With art for instance it is hard to pratically apply that, but you could always be an art teacher. Sure you would not be making a ton of money, but at least you would be doing something you enjoy.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by 5ilic0n on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm
([msg=75438]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

0phidian wrote:I notice a lot of people thinking about college are concerned with how much money they are going to make. In my opinion fuck money, just do what you love. Even if you make tons of money, is it worth getting up everyday and working at a job you hate and regreting not having pursued your dreams? With art for instance it is hard to pratically apply that, but you could always be an art teacher. Sure you would not be making a ton of money, but at least you would be doing something you enjoy.

This.

Also, you seem quite confident that you would be making 100k after getting a CS degree..It might happen, but don't be surprised if it doesnt ;) . Also, my degrees are in computer engineering and electrical engineering, but I'm going into a pure CS career. College can matter, but ultimately, you end up deciding what you want to do.
5ilic0n
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 am
([msg=75441]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

wanted to weigh in here even though I might have some bias.
there is no doubt In my mind that you can learn everything by yourself that would at uni. infact to a larger extent. here at hts w3 schools is referenced a fair bit. that site was used heavily during my course. not only did we use a source that the school doesnt own and is available to anyone and everyone but we didnt even cover the entire lessons on the subjects. I have covered far more in my personal study than I have at uni. If you ask me though. I would recommend it anyway just for the experience and the people you meet and the contacts yoh get with the industry.
as for the salary thing. I used to joke that if I didn't make one hundred k a year, I would go black hat :P
call me a dreamer but I don't think its unreachable at all if your smart but I guess time will tell
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jadecook on Wed May 01, 2013 12:00 pm
([msg=75443]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

Thanks for all of the responses, I believe that I am going to pursue a degree in CS. Guess it all came down to that I would just love to have a job in the art field. I wanted to go for the career path, but nothing is in stone with art. With CS I really just want to learn the things I haven't yet taught myself, and network with people. Then take the money from my career and create/do things that I want.

You can't really teach art, it just comes naturally.

I will be happy doing what ever I am doing, it's all on the outlook and I love solving problems with computers.
jadecook
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sordidarchetype on Wed May 01, 2013 12:54 pm
([msg=75444]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

Having a degree in computer sciences doesn't mean you can't get a job in the art field. It just means you have more practical options available to you.
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Post by DrRoach on Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm
([msg=75641]see Re: Computer Science Degree, Worth It?[/msg])

Don't discount apprenticeships either, I think they're called internships in America as they can be a good way to get the agree and still get that piece of paper at the end ;)
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Return to General