Hey few Q's

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Hey few Q's

Post by Scion on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:53 pm
([msg=7128]see Hey few Q's[/msg])

Hey guys, jus thought id put a post up, sorry think this could turn out to be a rather long post, kinda a hello and a few questions rolled into one but please bear with me :)

well first off hey, just joined hack this site and gotta say, ive been fascinated all day with it! i had to pull myself away from the computer to go out :P well i guess a few things about me would be a nice place to start, well im Scion im 17 living in england, ive been into computers since i first played the good old omega :P an in the past ive played a good few games, done web "design" (i call it design because ive rarely coded the sites myself normaly very graphic dependant sites made with paintshop and dreamweaver) and well since i was young i had a fasination with hacking just the thought of being able to see whats under the surface has really appealed to me, im a very inquisitive person i like to know what something does how it does it and how i can make it work for me.

well thats enough of an introduction i think.. well i have a few questions for you guys (dont worry im not gonna ask for you guys to teach me how to "h4ck s1t3s l1k3 a pr0 h4x0r!" :P) i was hoping u guys could point me in the right directions, as i mentioned earlier i havent done a huge amount of coding / programming etc, but now im older, have summer break im thinking, lets do it lets learn how to get into places im not suppose to to see whats happening under the surface, see what im not suppose to as it were, so i was wondering, do u guys know of good reading material, i have w3schools site from another post i havent delved that deep into it but it does look liek a brilliant site with some great tutorials, i was wondering if u guys would have some pointers for someone new to scripting, like good books to read, good websites to read, even just something that would be interesting would be appreciated, id like to re-itterate that im not after a personal tutor

all help is much appreciated

thanks

Scion
Scion
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hey few Q's

Post by nathandelane on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 am
([msg=7189]see Re: Hey few Q's[/msg])

scion wrote:i was wondering if u guys would have some pointers for someone new to scripting

w3schools.com goes into browser/client and server-side scripting using languages like JavaScript, VBScript, ASP, and PHP. Other things you might google are (for Windows) WSH or Windows Scripting Host, Batch, JScript, VBScript, (for Linux) bash, (for all systems) Python, Perl, Ruby. These are all scripting languages. There is no single book that can teach them all to you, but once you understand programming, then it's fairly easy to pick up on each of them. Of course each programming/scripting language has it's own syntax, quirks, and features, to some extent.

What is it that you'd specifically like to learn?
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by Scion on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 am
([msg=7255]see Re: Hey few Q's[/msg])

well i was thinking of starting with something basic like Java or python and then try and build from there, to my mind i think it will be better to study one at a time and fully understand it than try and learn several script languages, would i be right in thinking that although they differ in syntax each scripting language has similar fundamentals?

i dont really have a specific goal, just more walk the path and see where it leads
Scion
New User
New User

Post by Karec on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm
([msg=7420]see Re: Hey few Q's[/msg])

First of this is a personal prefrence but the way you type hurts my eyes.

Second if I have any advice, choose small goals and persue them. Usually picking up a scripting or a compiled language is a good start.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
Karec
Poster
Poster

Return to General