How secure am I?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How secure am I?

Post by Not4gotten on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 pm
([msg=75170]see How secure am I?[/msg])

Ok, yes, I am new. I have been googleing (googling?) for a while to find out if I'm setting up properly for anonymity, but I can't seem to find anything from what I'm considering "reliable" people to answer the question... So...

Basically, I would like to know how well I'm hidden, so to speak. My "private" browsing goes through FF with cookie self-destruct, AdBlock Plus, running Symantec Endpoint Protection firewall/antivirus, etc. My data goes through a no-log VPN (off-site) with DNS leak protection and a VPN kill if I fall off. I don't use FF for any login sites (except this one), and destroy history and flash cookies on browser exit...

1. How secure and anonymous is my setup?
2. Is there any way to make it a little more secure?

Thanks for the help, all! I'm kinda in the learning process, so I figured the best thing to do is to button up my end before I unbutton someone else's end (legally, of course).
Not4gotten
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How secure am I?

Post by centip3de on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 pm
([msg=75172]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

Not4gotten wrote:Ok, yes, I am new. I have been googleing (googling?) for a while to find out if I'm setting up properly for anonymity, but I can't seem to find anything from what I'm considering "reliable" people to answer the question... So...

Basically, I would like to know how well I'm hidden, so to speak. My "private" browsing goes through FF with cookie self-destruct, AdBlock Plus, running Symantec Endpoint Protection firewall/antivirus, etc. My data goes through a no-log VPN (off-site) with DNS leak protection and a VPN kill if I fall off. I don't use FF for any login sites (except this one), and destroy history and flash cookies on browser exit...

1. How secure and anonymous is my setup?
2. Is there any way to make it a little more secure?

Thanks for the help, all! I'm kinda in the learning process, so I figured the best thing to do is to button up my end before I unbutton someone else's end (legally, of course).

Your setup is plenty secure for the above-average Joe, the only thing I would suggest is to run NoScript as your IP can be tracked through all that jazz with Javascript.

To make it more secure? Run TOR on top of all it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Not4gotten on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:46 pm
([msg=75173]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

Ok, before I take a shot at TOR, will I see any downgrade in bandwidth by doing so, or is this a only-when-you-need-it solution?

Also with the script, a lot of sites don't allow you in while you are blocking script, or does NoScript still show you as allowing JS, but blocking it?

Thanks for the reply, BTW. Good to hear I'm on the right track.
Not4gotten
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm
([msg=75198]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

As for the tor situation.. You WILL see a downgrade in performance. And it can sometimes be a pretty big downgrade. So I'd suggest using it really only when it's needed, unless you're so paranoid that you'd give speed for security all of the time.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Not4gotten on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:45 pm
([msg=75200]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

As for the tor situation.. You WILL see a downgrade in performance. And it can sometimes be a pretty big downgrade. So I'd suggest using it really only when it's needed, unless you're so paranoid that you'd give speed for security all of the time.

Yeah, no. I see my VPN is either becoming popular, or some of the security stuff is weighing things down already without TOR. I think since I'm not doing any actual testing, I'll forgo TOR for now.

Additionally, I am thinking of doing a VMWare machine for at least Ubuntu or some other *nix distro so I can do some lernin'. Will the VM run through my current tunnel, or will it act separately and require it's own VPN connection? I'm asking for the sake of asking right now, and realize I can do an IP/DNS leak test once I boot, but knowing thine enemy before seeing his face is always a better course of action.

And no. I'm not going to ask what version of *nix is better... That's like asking between Ford & Chevy at the infield of Daytona on this site... Enough blood has been shed.
Not4gotten
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm
([msg=75208]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

Not4gotten wrote:Yeah, no. I see my VPN is either becoming popular, or some of the security stuff is weighing things down already without TOR. I think since I'm not doing any actual testing, I'll forgo TOR for now.

Additionally, I am thinking of doing a VMWare machine for at least Ubuntu or some other *nix distro so I can do some lernin'. Will the VM run through my current tunnel, or will it act separately and require it's own VPN connection? I'm asking for the sake of asking right now, and realize I can do an IP/DNS leak test once I boot, but knowing thine enemy before seeing his face is always a better course of action.

And no. I'm not going to ask what version of *nix is better... That's like asking between Ford & Chevy at the infield of Daytona on this site... Enough blood has been shed.

No, your VM should tunnel through to your VPN just like normal web traffic does.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by limdis on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:37 pm
([msg=75373]see Re: How secure am I?[/msg])

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to General