If you want to start "hacking"

General technological topics without their own forum go here

If you want to start "hacking"

Post by hellow533 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 am
([msg=74943]see If you want to start "hacking"[/msg])

Please read this thoroughly. I have gotten multiple emails, messages, etc. asking me how to hack. I have a hard time trying to get an idea of what they actually mean, and where they want to start.

For one, don't use the term hack so loosely, I won't bother helping you if I read a message that says hack in it 47 times.

For two, tell me where you want to start. There are many parts of "hacking".
Look in to things like:
Network security
Server security
Programming
Application fundamentals (some part programming)
IT work and hardware based cracking
Computer forensics

These should give you a good idea of where to start, from there, figure out what you want to do in your field.
For example, if you want to deal with network security, look in to specified parts of networking. Do you want to secure or test the limits of networks? Do you want to work with the hardware base of networks or software base? These are major questions, and you need to know what you want to do.

Thirdly, Google everything. You can make a great start if you look it up yourself. Now I assume the people who message me are asking Google the same questions. Don't search for things like "How to haxor North Korean bank accounts" or "how to hack facebook accounts". There isn't an in depth tutorial to hack something, if there was the problem would be fixed immediately and the tutorial would be rendered useless.

I would suggest buying books to start you off in any area. Hacking Exposed 6 helped me get a start in network security. I then read my dad's old Net+ and Security+ books, then moved on to his old CISSP and SSCP books. While I don't have my CISSP or SSCP, those did get me a 500 mile jump ahead for going for my CASP. You don't need to buy these books either, most of the information from them can be found online. Remember, if you know how to secure a network, you know how to crack one, and vise versa.

Fourthly, for you kids out there, look towards getting an internship. I had a part time internship in a computer forensics lab for a few months, which really opened my eyes to how well deleted and whipped hard drives can be recovered. They actually showed me a cut up hard drive. They were able to put it back together and get an estimated amount of 70% of the information back off of it.

Anyways, look towards an internship after you get your feet off the ground. That'll help you more than I ever could.

Lastly, Never, ever, EVER ask somebody to "hack" something for you, not unless you own whatever is being tested. If it's illegal, there's a good chance you'll be tipped off.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: If you want to start "hacking"

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:26 am
([msg=74947]see Re: If you want to start "hacking"[/msg])

This is pretty much a really short version of Ninjex's post. Still, very well said and definitely needs to be said.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General