DuckDuckGo

General technological topics without their own forum go here

DuckDuckGo

Post by kduders5000 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 pm
([msg=74936]see DuckDuckGo[/msg])

I've stopped using Google and now I use DuckDuckGo. I have been using it for a couple of days and have been pleased. The site itself and the links and privacy extensions and other resources it directs you to are worth looking at (at least for me :) ) Check it out http://www.DuckDuckGo.com
kduders5000
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DuckDuckGo

Post by hellow533 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:10 am
([msg=74939]see Re: DuckDuckGo[/msg])

This guy serious?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:33 am
([msg=74941]see Re: DuckDuckGo[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:This guy serious?

I don't see why not. I use duckduckgo, it's way better than google. I submitted a useful stuff link to it as well, but the link is broken :'(
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 am
([msg=74945]see Re: DuckDuckGo[/msg])

3vilp4wn wrote: I use duckduckgo, it's way better than google.

That's quite objective. I tried to switch over for a week. Through me off way too bad. I found myself slowed down by no instant search in the url bar. Also, I use Google for email, google plus, google drive, etc. so I enjoy having all those links at the top of my searches.

Also, I found the Google search results were much more rel event to me. So telling people it's way better needs a lot more explanation as to why.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm
([msg=74960]see Re: DuckDuckGo[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:

That's quite objective. [snip] So telling people it's way better needs a lot more explanation as to why.

Sure.

1.) The search page looks way nicer :)
2.) The results feel more relevant to me.
3.) Bangs. If you don't know what they are, you aren't using DDG properly. for example I can type "hacking !w", and it'll search wikipedia for "hacking". Basically every major site has a bang.
4.) goodies. I can type, for example "md5 admin", or "sha1 admin", and it'll give me a hash for "admin".
5.) Open source, and they listen to the community.

Now, to answer your complaints:

fashizzlepop wrote: found myself slowed down by no instant search in the url bar.

I have instant search. It's a setting in about:config. If you use chrome, suck it. You get what you deserve.

fashizzlepop wrote:Also, I use Google for email, google plus, google drive, etc. so I enjoy having all those links at the top of my searches.

Bangs could help with this, but yes, I do see your point. Google is ahead here.

fashizzlepop wrote:Also, I found the Google search results were much more rel event to me.

That's because google has custom search results. I personally don't like that, but I suppose some people do. If the 5th result for "foo" is "bar", it should be like that for *everyone*, not just me. Again, you might disagree.

Let me rephrase that:
I find duckduckgo to be way better then google. YMMV.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by QuomQuit on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 am
([msg=74980]see Re: DuckDuckGo[/msg])

I am using Google Chrome and whenever I opened the page, a kind of a pop-up appears at the bottom right of the page with two options, one of which is "Install Chrome extension". I haven't tried it yet, but my idea is that you are able to use it on Chrome, too. Also there must be a way by messing with the options.
Nascentes morimur.
QuomQuit
New User
New User

Return to General