Where or how did you learn how to hack?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Where or how did you learn how to hack?

Post by DrRoach on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 am
([msg=74904]see Where or how did you learn how to hack?[/msg])

I know a few different computer langauges but I still dont have much of an idea how to hack a webpage so where did you guys learn? Was it just through knowledge of how languages work? or did you find a website like this one that gave tutorials on how to find exploits and explained them?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where or how did you learn how to hack?

Post by 0phidian on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:04 pm
([msg=74905]see Re: Where or how did you learn how to hack?[/msg])

I already knew some programming and basic IT stuff. So first I found some awesome site called hackthissite.org ;). Then I read Jon Erickson's "Hacking the art of exploitation". Then I started playing around with the tools in backtrack, figured out how they worked and started writing my own.

-- Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm --

I also took some security classes at my univerity, but they were suck. Unless you're a complete beginner avoid college security classes they are a waste of time, or at least in my experience.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Re: Where or how did you learn how to hack?

Post by limdis on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm
([msg=74908]see Re: Where or how did you learn how to hack?[/msg])

Learned through intense curiosity driven research. You won't find everything you need to know from one place, you have to look everywhere. It's why I hate arguments like "w3schools vs (whoever)". My first hack was breaking the parental controls on our home network. After that I found HTS. If you want to learn bad enough you will find your answers, or go off the beaten path and figure things out on your own. 8-)
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to General