Sending HTTP Packets (Help)

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Re: Sending HTTP Packets (Help)

Post by barneystinson19 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm
([msg=73564]see Re: Sending HTTP Packets (Help)[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:Sorry, cent, but you're wrong. To just send and receive HTTP requests you only have to open a socket and send the data appropriately. No server needed on your end.

I have no idea how to go about this in VB.net. With that said, if you can figure out how to do ANY HTTP requests, you should be able to do a post or get by just constructing your header and request properly.

Here's the RFC but it's kinda bulky.

This might be easier to understand.

Otherwise Google HTTP Requests (optionally add in VB.net to your search).

I suppose it's all about how you define a server; in my mind, a server is something that takes and handles incoming requests, and unless you plan on sending data to nothing, you're going to need some version of a server. Granted you can send them to already set up servers, but you would still need a server.

The host that I'm trying to send packet is a website. I'm trying to make a simple communication througth tcp sockets via hyper text transfer protocol. Isn't Apache supposed to a server? Thanks for answers :)
"Ömür dediğin üç gündür, dün geldi geçti yarın meçhuldür…O halde ömür dediğin bir gündür,o da bugündür…."
barneystinson19
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Sending HTTP Packets (Help)

Post by WallShadow on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm
([msg=73567]see Re: Sending HTTP Packets (Help)[/msg])

The definition that I was taught in CISCO is this;

A server is a host that offer's a certain service over the internet/intranet.

A client is a host that utilizes the services of a server, over the internet/intranet.

With websites, the general idea is that the client is the one with the web browser, who requests a webpage (a service) from a web server.

There are times when a host can be both a client and a server at the same time, such as when you are using P2P/ad-hoc connections.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Programming