How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin

Post by samethings on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:51 pm
([msg=67495]see How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin[/msg])

It`s been several years since I did something related to programming, so I am here to start all over again. The problem though it`s that I used to be good at maths, but not anymore. So I was wondering how important is mathematics when it comes to server/security side programming?

Because I know as a fact that some of my friends who study computer science in the uni, have a module on maths.
samethings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin

Post by shaqywacky on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:34 am
([msg=67496]see Re: How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin[/msg])

For the most part you shouldn't need much math. If you understand PEMDAS, that should be pretty much all you need. Maybe a little bit of algebra to help solve the problems. But just plain writing code should not take much math.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Re: How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin

Post by centip3de on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm
([msg=67515]see Re: How important is mathematics to different kind of programmin[/msg])

samethings wrote:It`s been several years since I did something related to programming, so I am here to start all over again. The problem though it`s that I used to be good at maths, but not anymore. So I was wondering how important is mathematics when it comes to server/security side programming?

Because I know as a fact that some of my friends who study computer science in the uni, have a module on maths.

Well, that depends. If you're going to be doing graphics programming, you need to know your shit. Or, if you're going to be doing encryption/decryption/algorithms/low level work, you need to know your shit. If you're just going to make simpler things, that will just help you on your computer to automate a few things, you don't really need to know math for that.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Programming