Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?

Post by nathandelane on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 pm
([msg=18029]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

xcurious wrote:learn C, the internet is your library of books or go pick up K&R

Kernighan and Ritchi, or "The C Programming Language, Second Edition" is also available here.

But if you are going to learn a very low level language, then I would not advise learning C, because C++ is so much better. There are applications for C, especially when memory is limited significantly, but as C++ creator, Bjarne Stroustrup, said (and I've repeated numerous times on these forums), "C++ is a better C."
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Yosh on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am
([msg=18095]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Thanks for the help guys, but I read your reply to fun_man about learning C# the same day that I posted my last comment and it sounded like a good place to start. So I went out and bought a book on C# just the other day, hahah.
Yosh
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm
([msg=18110]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Good luck and remember that these things take time. Just keep at it, follow the books examples and then start trying to write your own simple programs at first.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by YayPython on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:57 pm
([msg=18822]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

Defience wrote:Good luck and remember that these things take time. Just keep at it, follow the books examples and then start trying to write your own simple programs at first.

That's exactly how I learned a good deal of Javascript. Currently, I started learning C++ from cprogramming.com. They have C and C++ tutorials, and they're making it surprisingly easy to understand. I like it a lot.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TheMindRapist on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm
([msg=18826]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mischief on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 pm
([msg=18928]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

YayPython wrote:
Defience wrote:Good luck and remember that these things take time. Just keep at it, follow the books examples and then start trying to write your own simple programs at first.

That's exactly how I learned a good deal of Javascript. Currently, I started learning C++ from cprogramming.com. They have C and C++ tutorials, and they're making it surprisingly easy to understand. I like it a lot.

may i suggest http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial? quite a good tutorial and an excellent reference imo.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by YayPython on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:32 am
([msg=21552]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

mischief wrote:
YayPython wrote:

may i suggest http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial? quite a good tutorial and an excellent reference imo.

Thanks for the link :)

It's a great site.
YayPython
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sushiaddict on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:33 am
([msg=22090]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

First, hello. I'm usually one of those people who will dabble in things, but recently I've actually become pretty focused on hacking, and want to learn programming. sadly, there are a few problems with that.
1. No $ to buy programming books
2. I'm not too quick at picking things up, and like to understand not only what they do, but why they do that
3. I can't seem to find any decent e-books..... mabye it's just me, but....
4. I get grounded pretty often, but I fixed that problem with a flash drive and a computer class at school.

Would anyone be willing to lead me to a couple of good e-books, or be willing to answer the stream of questions that are sure o follow as I get totally lost within the language?

I'm looking for something easy for beginners and with a reasonable (but not too high) of a learning curve......
“Only those who respect the personality of others can be of real use to them”
sushiaddict
New User
New User

Post by aNewHobby4me on Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 am
([msg=22095]see Re: Who Wants To Learn How To Program?[/msg])

sushiaddict wrote:3. I can't seem to find any decent e-books..... mabye it's just me, but....

You weren't specific as to language so here is a possible for c++.

One for c.

Or, you could try looking through this shelf. Enjoy :)
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Programmer!!!!

Post by 1234anima on Thu May 14, 2009 8:00 pm
([msg=23732]see Programmer!!!![/msg])

Can you define your program or your just want to show that you copy a program and say"Wallah"I know how to program"
believe Ive seen a lot of programmer in my country and other countries..They can program but they can not define the basic of the program they are executing!!!!!..I am anot a noob and Im not a programmer...I am a critic!!!!
1234anima
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Programming