.exe password protected

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

.exe password protected

Post by alibaba42 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 am
([msg=64902]see .exe password protected[/msg])

Hello everyone,

I do realise that i'm a complete beginner but i have a question i was hoping someone here could answer.

i have a .exe file which is password protected and i have a clue about how the passwords are stored.
The password is not checked against a database online but seems to be within the file itself, based on this clue:

Run it to get your Group ID number. This is a number such as “-330” or “150” and so on. Do not skip the negative sign if it is there.

My PC ID number shown by Chromulator is ________ (needed to create a password for a successful installation)

my group id number is 0 for the file that i have, so i suspect there is a table with group id's and the corresponding passwords within the .exe. However, as far as i know there is no easy way to decompile an exe back into code, in order to find the passwords within it. It might also be some sort of algorithm which takes the group id and spews out a password, but i dont know.

So i guess my question is:

1) is there a way to decompile the file back into the code. I have opened the .exe in notepad and found wsprint in it, so that might give me a clue about the language its written in.

2) can i brute force this password? Since it could be letters, numbers and even other characters, wouldnt this take too long?

thank you all in advance

Hope this isnt a stupid question
alibaba42
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: .exe password protected

Post by centip3de on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:04 pm
([msg=64913]see Re: .exe password protected[/msg])

alibaba42 wrote:Hello everyone,

I do realise that i'm a complete beginner but i have a question i was hoping someone here could answer.

i have a .exe file which is password protected and i have a clue about how the passwords are stored.
The password is not checked against a database online but seems to be within the file itself, based on this clue:

Run it to get your Group ID number. This is a number such as “-330” or “150” and so on. Do not skip the negative sign if it is there.

My PC ID number shown by Chromulator is ________ (needed to create a password for a successful installation)

my group id number is 0 for the file that i have, so i suspect there is a table with group id's and the corresponding passwords within the .exe. However, as far as i know there is no easy way to decompile an exe back into code, in order to find the passwords within it. It might also be some sort of algorithm which takes the group id and spews out a password, but i dont know.

So i guess my question is:

1) is there a way to decompile the file back into the code. I have opened the .exe in notepad and found wsprint in it, so that might give me a clue about the language its written in.

2) can i brute force this password? Since it could be letters, numbers and even other characters, wouldnt this take too long?

thank you all in advance

Hope this isnt a stupid question

This is only a stupid question because it's illegal. It's called 'cracking', which is not what we support or condone here. But, I will answer your questions, as they are only quasi-illegal:

1. Yes. It's called a disassembler. It takes the machine code of the file, and translates it into the corresponding assembly opcodes, interrupts, traps, etc. Look up OllyDBG, it's a popular free one.

2. Yes, but it would most likely take you several years to get your password.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Programming