Setting up a Sandbox

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Setting up a Sandbox

Post by kujinR on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:04 am
([msg=64492]see Setting up a Sandbox[/msg])

So, I'm not sure if this is a thing or not, but do any of you setup sandboxes for development? Particularly in web development.

It's just that, I mostly work with PHP and whenever I try to test new stuff, small stuff (ie. an algorithm or a new plugin), I put it in a separate local virtual host I use just for testing. Problem is, it gets cluttered real fast and just doesn't feel right. I was wondering if there's a better way for doing this.

Also, on a different but related note, when you start building new sites do you create separate vhosts as well? I mean it seems to be the best option, but I've never really asked anyone or dug deep enough into the topic to know for sure.

So I'm starting now, I'm pretty sure HTS members have some good tips to offer.

Also also, been awhile. Wadup?
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Setting up a Sandbox

Post by centip3de on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm
([msg=64503]see Re: Setting up a Sandbox[/msg])

kujinR wrote:So, I'm not sure if this is a thing or not, but do any of you setup sandboxes for development? Particularly in web development.

It's just that, I mostly work with PHP and whenever I try to test new stuff, small stuff (ie. an algorithm or a new plugin), I put it in a separate local virtual host I use just for testing. Problem is, it gets cluttered real fast and just doesn't feel right. I was wondering if there's a better way for doing this.

Also, on a different but related note, when you start building new sites do you create separate vhosts as well? I mean it seems to be the best option, but I've never really asked anyone or dug deep enough into the topic to know for sure.

So I'm starting now, I'm pretty sure HTS members have some good tips to offer.

Also also, been awhile. Wadup?

I rarely to never work with languages like PHP and such, so, I will suggest a program that I also have no experience with! Sandboxie.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by kujinR on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 am
([msg=64531]see Re: Setting up a Sandbox[/msg])

Hehe. Exactly not what I'm looking for. =P

Anyway, I guess not many programmers set up some sort of sandbox on their computers. Google yields nothing either.

Thanks anyways.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Post by MRFREE on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 am
([msg=67017]see Re: Setting up a Sandbox[/msg])

My good sir I offer my thoughts only cause of the answer posted before mine. Here it goes, vhost are for running multiple websites off of one single server. so unless your going to have 5 different .com on one server, then you shouldnt have any vhosts at all. IMHO if you are producing alot of different .php files then you need to get organized with main and sub folders for the different sites your building or scripts your creating, and then call them from localhost/var/www/what ever/and so on. Again if you are going to actually have several live websites then yes I you would need a virtual host for each of them.
I hope that helped and I hope you arent programming in a VM cause you really should have a problem with culter other wise

what I do for development is, I use xampp and I save all my files in there own subfile inside of htdocs, I also having my server running live from my IP address. Hope I helped if not reiterate and I will try to help~Mr.Free~
MRFREE
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 am
([msg=67018]see Re: Setting up a Sandbox[/msg])

If you chucked the prototype server in a virtual box, you could take snap shots of the set up before each tweak relatively easily. Don't know if it's a thing people do but i guess it would work. Or are you talking about clutter for the client?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Programming