In need of guidance

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

In need of guidance

Post by costapo on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 pm
([msg=64177]see In need of guidance[/msg])

Hey guys..
I am new here, and I am intrested in programming and coding
I am actually planning to join the corresponding university next year so I am studying pretty hard at this time, I have already got the basic knowledge of programming due to "high school" (you know, here in greece we learn some type of BASIC I think.. or is it the real name?) anyway, for the past weeks I have been intrested in batch files. Basically I wanted to mess with stuff within an enviroment I have access to, so I thought anything that envolves cmd and batch files should be great!

So, what should I do? is batch what I should focus on? or I'll have to wait for more advanced knoledge on programming languages?

Thanks,
sorry for the long post,
I also failed english class as you guessed
costapo
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: In need of guidance

Post by limdis on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:57 pm
([msg=64178]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

Hey welcome to HTS.

There are a TON of threads here filled with suggestions to this very topic. But considering that you are getting ready to head to university, I wouldn't focus directly on one language. Stay flexible and look into different ones until you decide what you would like to get into. Different languages come with their pros and cons of what you are trying to do. Take some time to look around the forums or the net and find out what different languages there are and see which one you would like to test out. There are tutorials for each language out there as well to help you get started. For example, this was posted a few days ago for Ruby: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8323

I'll step aside now for everyone else to defend their preferred language to the bloody end lol
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by costapo on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm
([msg=64179]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

HA! you are right about the ammount of threads with the same subject.. I sould have probably searched more
Thanks for your help!
It all started when I shuted down all the PCs in the class by the LAN port using command promt..
I checked ruby although I think programming languages are used to bypass network security, I will briefly continue discovering new ones

It is pretty neat there is a website full of coders, I am really impressed!
costapo
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm
([msg=64180]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

costapo wrote:Hey guys..I am new here, and I am intrested in programming and coding I am actually planning to join the corresponding university next year so I am studying pretty hard at this time, I have already got the basic knowledge of programming due to "high school" (you know, here in greece we learn some type of BASIC I think.. or is it the real name?) anyway, for the past weeks I have been intrested in batch files. Basically I wanted to mess with stuff within an enviroment I have access to, so I thought anything that envolves cmd and batch files should be great!

So, what should I do? is batch what I should focus on? or I'll have to wait for more advanced knoledge on programming languages?

Thanks,
sorry for the long post,
I also failed english class as you guessed

I highly enjoy your enthusiasm, it's a rare trait to see in people these days. Though, you should be warned that command prompt really has no meaning besides making basic tasks more efficient for computer administrators. It's no secret thing that gives you the tools to hack into any system there is, and in-fact, it really can't do anything hacker-ish at all.

What I would suggest for you to do is to check into other programming languages with a similar syntax to batch files, like Python for instance.

costapo wrote:I checked ruby although I think programming languages are used to bypass network security, I will briefly continue discovering new ones

Wut?

costapo wrote:It is pretty neat there is a website full of coders, I am really impressed!

There's more than just one...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by costapo on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:05 pm
([msg=64181]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
costapo wrote:I checked ruby although I think programming languages are used to bypass network security, I will briefly continue discovering new ones

Wut?

Nah fail post... I wasn't really concered what I was typing cause of a phonecall of the last minute :evil:

I was kind of left disapointed about the command prompt.. I felt like discovering America when I found out that cheap trick.. Anyway once I get in mood again (most likely tomorrow) I'm going to do a research
Thanks again guys
costapo
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:24 pm
([msg=64184]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

costapo wrote:I felt like discovering America when I found out that cheap trick..

Here, here. Traversing through my directories was pretty damn sexy once apon a time.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 pm
([msg=64186]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

pretentious wrote:
costapo wrote:I felt like discovering America when I found out that cheap trick..

Here, here. Traversing through my directories was pretty damn sexy once apon a time.

You pretend like it's still not. <3
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 pm
([msg=64189]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

pretentious wrote:

Actually, my favorite thing to do was just to change the text color to either red or green and then enter dir/s. The only thing I've seen that makes you look more like a movie hacker is Hacker Typer. ;)
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by costapo on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm
([msg=64239]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

I just completed the basic 4.. It is so freaking epic, I mean all the stuff you can do with coding and I assume I am only in the beginning
So I will continue training here, study for university and learn new languages
Thanks again guys, and nice to meet you all!
costapo
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:18 pm
([msg=64244]see Re: In need of guidance[/msg])

costapo wrote:I just completed the basic 4.. It is so freaking epic, I mean all the stuff you can do with coding and I assume I am only in the beginning
So I will continue training here, study for university and learn new languages
Thanks again guys, and nice to meet you all!

Sounds like a plan, hope it works.
centip3de

Return to Programming