This saddens me

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

This saddens me

Post by thetan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm
([msg=60518]see This saddens me[/msg])

http://vedantk.tumblr.com/post/84244377 ... der-attack

:(

SICP was probably one of most influential programming books i've read. I haven't felt this scared for the future sense most universities traded in C++ based curriculum for Java based ones.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: This saddens me

Post by sanddbox on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:51 pm
([msg=60521]see Re: This saddens me[/msg])

Programming education does seem to be gravitating towards language-specific teaching, sadly. Java and Python seem to be used because they're "easy" languages, but the education system fails to use those languages to teach important programming concepts.

It's equivalent to an English teacher spending the majority of class-time talking about vocabulary when she should be predominantly teaching her kids how to actually write and only teach a small amount of vocabulary.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Re: This saddens me

Post by thetan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm
([msg=60525]see Re: This saddens me[/msg])

yeah, SICP would encourage you to do this crazy thing and actually reason about your code. It was also a really well written, creative and inspiring read. My signature contains one of the many gem quotes from the book.

"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Programming