Suggestions please

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Suggestions please

Post by rotundjere on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm
([msg=59419]see Suggestions please[/msg])

Hi all.I'm new here and i decided to ask for your guidance :)
I am trying to expand my programming skills & languages and i would like your suggestions on what new language i should start.I am already quite adept at Java,C++,Fortran and i also know a few more stuff,including moderate HTML,ASM,SQL knowledge and basic XML,PHP,C.I am trying to improve even more my skills on what i already know,but i would like to learn something else too.So,do you have any suggested language with any book/e-book/tutorial about it that i could check?
rotundjere
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Suggestions please

Post by neuromanta on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 pm
([msg=59420]see Re: Suggestions please[/msg])

Why, what do you want to acomplish? Do you have a project in mind for which the languages you already know are not good enough? Certain languages are good for certain tasks, that's for sure.
But if you want to learn just for the sake of learning, that's ok too of course (altough I can't imagine how can you be adept at C++, and just basic at C... I'm working with C++ for 9-10 hours a day for several years now, but I wouldn't dare to say I'm adept in it, and I couldn't use C++ without a deep understanding of "pure" C). So if you just want to learn, I'd suggest you learn a tipical scripting language like Python, Perl, or even Bash or AWK. Either of them can be useful. Also, if you want to try different programming approaches, try Erlang, or Prolog... they are pure fun ;).
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm
([msg=59424]see Re: Suggestions please[/msg])

I of course always suggest Perl, but also Lisp would be fun to learn.

Also, we definitely need more info. :)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by rotundjere on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:26 pm
([msg=59425]see Re: Suggestions please[/msg])

Well,i'd like to learn more languages just for the sake of learning as u said,but getting more experience in a few more languages (even 1) will make a difference in my programs,right?Moreover,as a computer science student,i will be able to implement more stuff on my projects and improve em.Now,about C++ and C.I know C++,cause at my university for our programming classes we use Java,and only used C++ in one class,so in order to adapt better to C++,i asked for a friend for some briefing for C. So,about your suggestions,i don't have any scripting experience and i am thinking about Python and Perl.I guess i will start with one of em,after i check a bit about em.
Anyway,thanks for your suggestions! :)

P.S. A friend of mine learned Prolog,and he told me to never learn it,cause he hated it :P
rotundjere
New User
New User

Post by r-ID on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:42 pm
([msg=59427]see Re: Suggestions please[/msg])

Learn what you want, i can't say what do you want to learn, i can only say the things i like:
1) I love how Qt works, signals and slots mechanism is very practical and easy to read. (C++) (KDE is made from it)
2) .NET is the best framework i know, very stable, very good architecture, and intelligence sense of Visual Studio is just marvelous. (I don't like gui system)
3) Core Image is pretty neat (http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/ ... rence.html). Objc one of the best things to work with 2D graphics and images
4) XNA the best for 3D, C#
5) Command line, bash scripting, etc. is very powerful in good hands.
6) Linux kernel modules, hard coding for understanding a system.
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by mojo1948 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 pm
([msg=59435]see Re: Suggestions please[/msg])

I've been messing with Haskell for awhile, it's worth a look.
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell
Never stop learning.
mojo1948
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Programming