Looking to start learning programming

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Looking to start learning programming

Post by sodapop101 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:31 am
([msg=59270]see Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Hello all, I'm fairly new here. I'm just looking to get a few opinions on what would be a good programming language to start learning in? On the articles, I read BASIC was one of the easiest but was a bad habit to break. What would you guys say would be a good starter program? Also, where would I go to acquire BASIC?

I know HTML quite well but I'm pretty sure HTML and programming languages are quite different. I really have a desire to learn and I'm not like those other kids that make accounts and ask you to hack things for me. I'm even thinking about changing my major to something more computer oriented. Anyways, sorry for the epic post. Any help and suggestions would be great!
-sodapop101
sodapop101
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking to start learning programming

Post by acevic on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:42 am
([msg=59271]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

This post is a good starting point.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by ampakine on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 am
([msg=59285]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Yeah HTML is a markup language, not a programming language but knowing HTML is definitely a good start. First thing I learned was HTML then I moved onto PHP. PHP is a programming language, by learning PHP I learned all sorts of programming concepts like variables, conditional statements, loops, functions etc. which made learning a 2nd programming language 1000 times easier. I've literally spent about 5 days learning and practicing javascript and I'm already getting good at it because from knowing PHP I already know how to use functions, loops, conditional statements and all sorts of other stuff. The concepts you learn in 1 programming language apply to all programming languages. Same goes for markup languages, your knowledge of tags and attributes and all that stuff from HTML gives you a huge head start if you wanna learn XML.

I recommend learning javascript or PHP now because these languages will build on your HTML knowledge. You can't really learn javascript or PHP without already knowing HTML. The best way to learn programming languages (and just about everything in life) is by practicing them so start a project that requires you to use the new language you're learning. Do you have any websites? If not start one. Make a list of all the features you want to add to your site that can be done with javascript or PHP then start learning. Start at the beginning though, the first thing you need to know is how to use variables. Have you played the game mad libs? Thats a good way to gain an instant understanding of variables, make a mad libs program. If you don't know what mad libs is tell me and I'll make the program for you so you can play around with it. Its funny shit.

EDIT: Also if you want to get good at "designing" websites then you wanna learn CSS. In fact I'd say you should learn a bit of CSS before you start javascript or PHP because the sooner you learn CSS the sooner you start using it in your websites. The first websites I made I didn't know CSS at all, I only reason I even bothered learning what it was was so I could make links change color when you hover over them and eventually when I wanted to make my website look good I ended up having to redo half the site to convert it into CSS format. If I had just learned the basics of CSS in the first place I would have saved myself loads of hassle.
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by sodapop101 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:11 pm
([msg=60125]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

ampakine wrote:Yeah HTML is a markup language, not a programming language but knowing HTML is definitely a good start. First thing I learned was HTML then I moved onto PHP. PHP is a programming language, by learning PHP I learned all sorts of programming concepts like variables, conditional statements, loops, functions etc. which made learning a 2nd programming language 1000 times easier. I've literally spent about 5 days learning and practicing javascript and I'm already getting good at it because from knowing PHP I already know how to use functions, loops, conditional statements and all sorts of other stuff. The concepts you learn in 1 programming language apply to all programming languages. Same goes for markup languages, your knowledge of tags and attributes and all that stuff from HTML gives you a huge head start if you wanna learn XML.

I recommend learning javascript or PHP now because these languages will build on your HTML knowledge. You can't really learn javascript or PHP without already knowing HTML. The best way to learn programming languages (and just about everything in life) is by practicing them so start a project that requires you to use the new language you're learning. Do you have any websites? If not start one. Make a list of all the features you want to add to your site that can be done with javascript or PHP then start learning. Start at the beginning though, the first thing you need to know is how to use variables. Have you played the game mad libs? Thats a good way to gain an instant understanding of variables, make a mad libs program. If you don't know what mad libs is tell me and I'll make the program for you so you can play around with it. Its funny shit.

EDIT: Also if you want to get good at "designing" websites then you wanna learn CSS. In fact I'd say you should learn a bit of CSS before you start javascript or PHP because the sooner you learn CSS the sooner you start using it in your websites. The first websites I made I didn't know CSS at all, I only reason I even bothered learning what it was was so I could make links change color when you hover over them and eventually when I wanted to make my website look good I ended up having to redo half the site to convert it into CSS format. If I had just learned the basics of CSS in the first place I would have saved myself loads of hassle.

Just saw this. Thanks for your input!
sodapop101
New User
New User

Post by Reason7194 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:48 pm
([msg=60167]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Python F T W
I study Gotafu.
Reason7194
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 pm
([msg=60380]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Reason7194 wrote:Python F T W

YUS! SOMEONE WHO AGREE'S WITH ME! :D
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by thetan on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 am
([msg=60388]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Javascript is actually a really easy to learn and powerful language (it derives most of it's power from being so closely related to LISP).

Stanford's CS 101 class is actually taught using Javascript
http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs101/
http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs101/cs101-demo.html

Traditionally at MIT CS101 is taught using LISP (the language that javascript derives most of it's behavior from). The MIT CS101 book is freely available online and called SICP (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs).
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 8000cats on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:32 pm
([msg=62866]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

thenewboston.com is in my opinion the best place to learn to program, maybe begin with a few simple C programs and then once you have got the hang of the whole programming thing then either focus on C/C++ or Java.

Or if you want to focus on Web programming then (after learning basic programming concepts with C) move on to Javascript and then PHP... of course you shud not start anything to do with the Web unless you know HTML....
8000cats
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:54 pm
([msg=62867]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

8000cats wrote:thenewboston.com is in my opinion the best place to learn to program, maybe begin with a few simple C programs and then once you have got the hang of the whole programming thing then either focus on C/C++ or Java.<br><br>Or if you want to focus on Web programming then (after learning basic programming concepts with C) move on to Javascript and then PHP... of course you shud not start anything to do with the Web unless you know HTML....

Hey 8000cats, welcome to HTS. Thanks for your input but the thread was over 3 months old and obviously settled. The OP has probably moved on and totally forgot about this post. I will leave it, but please try not to necro old post.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by jarubyh on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:32 pm
([msg=62989]see Re: Looking to start learning programming[/msg])

Well, and you'll here this pretty much everywhere else, it depends on what you're doing.

If you're not quite sure what you want to do, Python or Ruby is a good choice. As programming languages go, both of these are good, easy to use yet powerful languages.

If you want to do low-level OS coding or write heavy-duty applications, C or C++ is a good choice. Both of these languages are powerful, hard, and occasionally dangerous, yet they are invaluable in the programmers (or hackers :) toolkit.

For websites, PHP, Javascript, Java, or even Perl would all be great choices. These languages are quite popular for these websites, and, as stated, it would compliment your HTML skills.

None of these languages can only be used for the purposes I suggested, you can do heavy-duty applications in Ruby and Websites in C, but they are quite popular for them.

printf("Have fun!");
jarubyh
New User
New User

Next

Return to Programming