LUA Scrambling?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

LUA Scrambling?

Post by undrgrnd59 on Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm
([msg=2441]see LUA Scrambling?[/msg])

I wasn't exactly sure which forum to post this in (programming or crypto) so I just chose here. In World of Warcraft they have UI mods (as I'm sure many know) that are written in LUA. Some recent UI mod authors are now scrambling the LUA in their mods. This leads to code being executed which could be doing god knows what behind your back, which just isn't safe. I was hoping someone could redirect me to resources about LUA encryption, how to break it, stuff of that sort? Thanks in advance.
undrgrnd59
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: LUA Scrambling?

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed May 14, 2008 7:13 pm
([msg=2464]see Re: LUA Scrambling?[/msg])

Lol, you want to get epic amounts of gold and the anti mudkipz amulet?
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BhaaL on Thu May 15, 2008 11:39 am
([msg=2511]see Re: LUA Scrambling?[/msg])

In case you refer to the use of .luc files, they are just compiled lua scripts. You should know now what to do.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by undrgrnd59 on Fri May 16, 2008 3:21 pm
([msg=2591]see Re: LUA Scrambling?[/msg])

TheMindRapist wrote:Lol, you want to get epic amounts of gold and the anti mudkipz amulet?

As a rule, don't post unless you have the faintest clue what your talking about.

----

The file in question is a .LUA file. Can they just rename it from .LUC to .LUA and have it work? I tried a program called luadec to decompile it without success. I have no trouble researching further as long as I'm preety sure that I'm on the right track. (If I'm not, is there any other way they could obfuscate the code but still have WoW be able to load it?
undrgrnd59
New User
New User

Post by lolobip on Sat May 17, 2008 10:06 am
([msg=2650]see Re: LUA Scrambling?[/msg])

Google out Age2uN's LuaDC if you want to decompile a .luc bytecode file into a .lua script ( clear text ) file.

Make sure that you're decompiling a luc and not some other file type ( you can check the luc signature, which is => "\x1bLua@", at the begining of the luc file )
lolobip
New User
New User

Return to Programming