For those new to hacking, a word of advice.

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

For those new to hacking, a word of advice.

Post by Akelo on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 pm
([msg=7999]see For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

First off, I'm new to hackthissite.org, but I'm lovin' it. Second, I have NEVER looked at hacking/cracking literature seriously (aside from buying a book then letting it gather a nice layer of dust). I haven't broken into any sites, or caused any massive system failures for any system...but hey...I'm still young.
This is a post for the new guys out there, and I still count myself amongst you. I am a self employed web developer. Learned everything I needed from books on html,css, and php, and practiced until I was able to make websites up to par of what people wanted. During that time, had to pickup xml, and of course sql (mysql) to work with database driven websites. I've NEVER tried to break sites, but as soon as I made my account I was thrilled with the basic challenges (and realistic ones) that were thrown at me. I burned through a good number of them with little effort, and on the ones I got stuck on, had a damn good chuckle at the obvious nature of it.
Learn to create something, rather than how to destroy it. That knowledge goes hand in hand with each other. I had to learn about sql injection, xss vulnerabilities, amongst many other issues just from web based programming. I can make some damn nice sites, and now, I'm THINKING in a different way when I try to break them, but I still use the same knowledge base.

When we tell you to learn a programming language, it's not to get you off our backs, it really is essential. Not all languages are the best for different scenarios. There is no magical hacking language that allows one to easily break sites. It's all about learning what you learn, and then thinking with the lights out. I hope this helps, and if anyone wants to chat me up with recommended readings, or hacking sites (although I never practice this illegally...hence the reason I love this site) send me a PM. Just thought I'd throw my two cents, say hey, I'm new here, and then be quiet until I have more technical garble to add to this site.

Akelo
Akelo
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.

Post by doubleman on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:45 pm
([msg=8164]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

Nice post, interesting advice. Thanks!

Learning to create helps you destroy? cool ;D lol. Not that I'm going to destroy someone else's hard work.
doubleman
New User
New User

Post by beagle on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:44 pm
([msg=9044]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

Akelo wrote:First off, I'm new to hackthissite.org, but I'm lovin' it. Second, I have NEVER looked at hacking/cracking literature seriously (aside from buying a book then letting it gather a nice layer of dust). I haven't broken into any sites, or caused any massive system failures for any system...but hey...I'm still young.
This is a post for the new guys out there, and I still count myself amongst you. I am a self employed web developer. Learned everything I needed from books on html,css, and php, and practiced until I was able to make websites up to par of what people wanted. During that time, had to pickup xml, and of course sql (mysql) to work with database driven websites. I've NEVER tried to break sites, but as soon as I made my account I was thrilled with the basic challenges (and realistic ones) that were thrown at me. I burned through a good number of them with little effort, and on the ones I got stuck on, had a damn good chuckle at the obvious nature of it.
Learn to create something, rather than how to destroy it. That knowledge goes hand in hand with each other. I had to learn about sql injection, xss vulnerabilities, amongst many other issues just from web based programming. I can make some damn nice sites, and now, I'm THINKING in a different way when I try to break them, but I still use the same knowledge base.

When we tell you to learn a programming language, it's not to get you off our backs, it really is essential. Not all languages are the best for different scenarios. There is no magical hacking language that allows one to easily break sites. It's all about learning what you learn, and then thinking with the lights out. I hope this helps, and if anyone wants to chat me up with recommended readings, or hacking sites (although I never practice this illegally...hence the reason I love this site) send me a PM. Just thought I'd throw my two cents, say hey, I'm new here, and then be quiet until I have more technical garble to add to this site.

That was beautifully written. Nice job.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by Amorack on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:13 pm
([msg=9729]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

Yes very nice this is the difference between a real hacker and a script kiddie.
Amorack
New User
New User

Post by kiddietron on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:00 pm
([msg=9878]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

Hehe, script kiddie. That's a funny word. XD

Anyways, thanks for the advice!

It's a very detailed, personal experience that I think will really help me as well.

Thanks.
--Advertising's a no-no. :)
kiddietron
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by nosidius on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:17 pm
([msg=9888]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

0.0 this is "how to be a hacker" material (in my book at least) and for anyone who takes it seriously (i know at least one person on here does, i saw the symbol) thats a high compliment..........
give me knowledge or give me death
nosidius
Poster
Poster

Post by Casval on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:54 am
([msg=10359]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

nosidius wrote:0.0 this is "how to be a hacker" material (in my book at least) and for anyone who takes it seriously (i know at least one person on here does, i saw the symbol) thats a high compliment..........

It's not like he's saying anything that isn't true. People who know how to create something have the most success in destroying it. Any idiot can strap a bomb to a building, but it takes someone fluent in the architectural field to correctly place a bomb to level a skyscraper.
Casval
New User
New User

Post by nosidius on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 am
([msg=10365]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

i was more talking about the amount of incorrect information published by many who have no idea what they're really saying.......... (google hacking and watch the BBC and NBC s*** that comes up............)
give me knowledge or give me death
nosidius
Poster
Poster

Post by beagle on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:26 am
([msg=10366]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

is it legal to know? if so then hacking is legal...........

Nosidlus, I love your quote. ;)
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by salvaleon on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:30 am
([msg=12582]see Re: For those new to hacking, a word of advice.[/msg])

nice posts..
i am also new in hacking... but anyways thanks for that info :D
salvaleon
New User
New User

Next

Return to Programming