Beginning programming, advice!

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Beginning programming, advice!

Post by R_I_P1337 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:31 pm
([msg=7998]see Beginning programming, advice![/msg])

I'm just starting to learn serious programming and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which language to start with and what then to continue with? I have been told that python is a good starting language. I have also been told that after I learn Python I should learn assembly then it will be easy to learn c and then c++ or java. Then they said I should learn a server side scripting language such as perl or PHP. Is this all true and should I do it or shouldn't I listen to the person.
I know HTML, basics of javascript, I know a little PHP, also I know little Python. I've also got the Realbasic development environment and have done some of the tut for it. I got a book on PHP and MySQL also ive got one on VB, VBs, and VBA. If this helps at all.
If anyone can give me any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.
R_I_P1337
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Beginning programming, advice!

Post by nathandelane on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm
([msg=8003]see Re: Beginning programming, advice![/msg])

R_I_P1337 wrote:I have been told that python is a good starting language. I have also been told that after I learn Python I should learn assembly then it will be easy to learn c and then c++ or java.

Whomever you spoke with seems to have a good handle on programming. The method he mentioned to you and programming language order may or may not be the direction he or she chose, however it is important that you simply take time to learn how to program. One of my recent forum posts, Who Wants to Learn How To Program explains some of my own roots. I of course began with GWBasic on MS-DOS 3.0 on an old 86286 IBM Clone (I think it was Packard Bell). After that I also took the route of learning Assembly language, which is a challenge at best, and then moved onto C and Pascal (which is a learning language like BASIC, but more structured and statically typed like C or C++). The only thing you should be aware of is that programming is NOT easy [for all people]. It does come more naturally to some, but there is no fast route to programming success or learning programming (see Teach Yourself Programming In Ten Years, http://norvig.com/21-days.html). This is true even if you DO already know another programming language, but often you will find that programming languages are similar.

What you learn MUST be up to you. Don't allow others to tell you what you should learn. Like in any other economy, class, or culture programming and hacking goes through trends, usually trends that aren't valid or true, because they ARE simply trends. Some people may tell you that, for example, C or C++ are outdated, or that Java is bad because it runs on a virtual machine. It always pays more to learn the facts from the source than to listen to somebody else's opinion (see The Psychology of Learning, http://www.labri.fr/perso/strandh/Teach ... ology.html)

I hope that helps you somewhat in your endeavors and if you ever have any specific questions do not hesitate to PM me - I've noticed that some people on these forums charge to teach you things, but I feel that is wrong (maybe I'm no as hard-pressed for money), so I will never charge you, and if I don't know the answer, first I'll tell you that, and second I'll research it for/with you.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Re: Beginning programming, advice!

Post by R_I_P1337 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:48 pm
([msg=8075]see Re: Beginning programming, advice![/msg])

Thanks that has really help me
R_I_P1337
New User
New User

Return to Programming