I was looking for some good programming books

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

I was looking for some good programming books

Post by Mahouxshounen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 pm
([msg=78960]see I was looking for some good programming books[/msg])

My looking around got me to a few interesting topics, but I had a hard time deciding which books I should get. I have experience in a few programming languages, both straightforward text and visual programming, also looked into OpenGL and DirectX, and a little Assembly. But what I want to focus on is a look at programming theory and skills to improve my code, and finding challenges that are on par with real life problems.

One I found that had interesting Titles were Robert C. Martin's books.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-C.-Martin/e/B000APG87E

I don't know if anyone knows about these books, do you guys recommend it? Do you guys say I'm better off with another writer's books, and if it's the latter, who would you suggest?
Mahouxshounen
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I was looking for some good programming books

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:11 pm
([msg=78961]see Re: I was looking for some good programming books[/msg])

The go to book for just about every professional programmer I know is Code Complete.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Mahouxshounen on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:50 pm
([msg=78971]see Re: I was looking for some good programming books[/msg])

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly I never heard of it, but I checked it out and it looks amazing so far.
Mahouxshounen
New User
New User

Post by Breaker on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:28 pm
([msg=78986]see Re: I was looking for some good programming books[/msg])

What is it that you are trying to improve? Depending on what your goal is, a book may be useless. If you want a real challenge, as well as exposure to very efficient/clean/low-footprint programming schemes, check out www.topcoder.com/‎. They have numerous competitions (that pay you money). I entered one to optimize the direction of solar panels on a satellite. Needless to say, if you enjoy programming and want to get better, that is what I recommend.

Then again, I have only been a member here and a programmer since 2005, so what do I really know? Nothing. 8-)
Breaker
New User
New User

Post by Mahouxshounen on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 pm
([msg=79001]see Re: I was looking for some good programming books[/msg])

What I really need is just to write more programs. But with college and all, sometimes I just can't think of problems to solve. It's almost like painting...when you have the desire to paint, but as the empty canvas stares at you(In my case, the empty file that I want to shape into a program), you just get paralyzed, lack of ideas or inspiration. But this site you suggested makes me feel excited, and want to go at it. Though it does feel that it's 'slightly' out of my league. I'm not confident enough, but I will still try. How else would I improve, right?
I can write programs, but they are ugly, and the code turns into a hot mess a lot of times. Like without me noticing it, I created nested for loops(which I later realize they are unnecessary obviously), or add unnecessary code, like variables and functions that just complicate my program. What I want is to learn to write better code. . . But as in painting, in programming too, one can only be better by writing programs, and reading others programs to learn workarounds and solutions to common problems. Well, what I just said is really common sense.
But I guess you get the point. I want ideas, problems to solve, and I want to make my code less ugly, more efficient, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. It helps a lot.
Mahouxshounen
New User
New User

Return to Programming