App Dev Camps: Effective?!

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

App Dev Camps: Effective?!

Post by sabin007 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:14 pm
([msg=76170]see App Dev Camps: Effective?![/msg])

Every now and then I hear about different app development camps and bootcamps being conducted. As you all know, these programs are of mere 3-5 days but they claim that they can teach any person who has very little knowledge about the programming (like working of loops, difference between variable and constants, etc.) to build phone apps for popular stores like Google Play, Windows Store and App Store (iPhone).

The real question is how effective are these programs (dev camps and bootcamps) in long run? Can anyone have real knowledge or experience from these programs? Are these programs beneficial to attend other than developing the apps? Tried searching internet but no real answer found.

Or these programs are one of the ways to fool people and make a load of money?
Help is appreciated, thank you.
sabin007
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: App Dev Camps: Effective?!

Post by centip3de on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm
([msg=76171]see Re: App Dev Camps: Effective?![/msg])

sabin007 wrote:Every now and then I hear about different app development camps and bootcamps being conducted. As you all know, these programs are of mere 3-5 days but they claim that they can teach any person who has very little knowledge about the programming (like working of loops, difference between variable and constants, etc.) to build phone apps for popular stores like Google Play, Windows Store and App Store (iPhone).

The real question is how effective are these programs (dev camps and bootcamps) in long run? Can anyone have real knowledge or experience from these programs? Are these programs beneficial to attend other than developing the apps? Tried searching internet but no real answer found.

Or these programs are one of the ways to fool people and make a load of money?
Help is appreciated, thank you.

I haven't heard many success stories from or about these. The stories I do hear, however, are about people who think they're the shit after 3 days, yet they have no deep understanding of what they've learned. Sure, they can make a for loop, but they only know how to make it one way. Or, they might be able to make a GUI, but they have no actual understanding of what each command does (this command blits the background, this one sets the forecolor of each object, etc.). In the long run, it'd be better for the person (and the program) if they just learned how to actually program and then learned how to make an app.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Programming