Programming Android apps?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Programming Android apps?

Post by 4pathia on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 am
([msg=74983]see Programming Android apps?[/msg])

Hello everyone,
I am a beginning programmer and I have learnt python and javascript. I was thinking that my next step should be to start programming android apps since I use my device more than a computer. If there is anyone around here that has programmed an android app, is learning java difficult? How time consuming is making the app? Is there anything else I need to learn before I start making android apps? Any other tips?
4pathia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming Android apps?

Post by DrRoach on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 am
([msg=74986]see Re: Programming Android apps?[/msg])

Learning java can be hard if you don't have the right background. I don't know about python but I know that javascript is structured a lot like java hence the names. If you put the work and the effort into learning java then you'll pick it up and then learning other languages will become like a second nature as you'll know how computer languages work. If you want to cheat (which I wouldn't reccomend doing) there is a way to make android apps online for free but I'll only post the link if you really want it because learning java can be so rewarding especially if you want to go into app development. Also you have to pay a one off $20 fee to google play to publish your app in their store. Also on the time side it shouldn't take you more than a few days to make a decent app if you concentrate on it.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by 0phidian on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:19 pm
([msg=74987]see Re: Programming Android apps?[/msg])

You may find this useful
android tutorials
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by 5ilic0n on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 am
([msg=75202]see Re: Programming Android apps?[/msg])

I made an Android app for my school project last semester. If you're thinking about making an app, you should know Java beforehand. Not because Java is difficult or anything like that, but the Android API framework takes getting used to. And you really don't want to be uncomfortable with Java and the Android API at the same time.

The other thing is, you need to have solid OOP skills since Android is designed for running multiple threads concurrently. I can't tell you how many times I had to go back and read about OOP concepts because of the Android API. (However, I was doing some fairly complicated stuff.)

Anyways, that being said, there are tons of tutorials out there that can help you out ;)
You can end up doing some really cool things, and it can be rewarding.
5ilic0n
New User
New User

Post by brutal_hacker on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 pm
([msg=75224]see Re: Programming Android apps?[/msg])

Android apps are pretty simple to create and don't take a very long time to make. If your interested in making apps for your android device I suggest you start by getting a book and reading about it. From what you have said I guess your a complete noob when it comes to java you may want to get this book http://www.amazon.com/Android-Absolute- ... 1430247886 it is easy to follow and really does start from scratch its not one of these books that assumes you know some java programming.

Be aware tho if you have programmed before it is a massive bonus as a lot of programming languages are very similar and if you have an understanding of some commands you will find it easy to pick up, it is not a must tho, we all have to start somewhere.

You can also visit this page: http://developer.android.com/design/index.html

There is a giant community out there just waiting for you to explore.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Programming