Programming languages

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Programming languages

Post by thehackertoyou on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 pm
([msg=74690]see Programming languages[/msg])

So i'm pretty new to computer security and I recently started learning python. I was just wondering, what can I do with python practically? Because right now it just seems like all I can do is simple math equations. And how useful is it with hacking? Thanks in advance. ;)
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming languages

Post by 0phidian on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm
([msg=74691]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

thehackertoyou wrote:I was just wondering, what can I do with python practically?

Everything. Once you learn programming in any language you are only limited by your imagination. I remember thinking the same sorta thing when I first started programming, wondering why I was learning 500 different ways to print helloworld and do simple math. Once you get farther into programming though you will realize how important the simple concepts are. The best way to get your programming skills along is to practice. Just pick some random projects and code them. If you cant figure out how to do something just google it.

One of the advantages of python is that it has a ton of built in libraries to just just about anything.
python 3 library
python 2 library

Another big advantage to python is it has an interpreter(like idle or ipython) so you can quickly run some code to make a quick calculation or find the length of a string without having to save or compile anything.
Python is used for alot of security tools, especially for things like crafting packets(scapy). Like I said, really you can make anything in python, or any other language, brute forcer, packet sniffer, hex editor, sqli tool, vuln scanner ect.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by thehackertoyou on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 pm
([msg=74694]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

Wow, ok so first off, how to I get python for mac? I already have IDLE but the problem with it is that I can't writes any programs with more than 1 line. So for example if I wrote one line, as soon as I go to the next line it runs everything on the first line. I also can't save/load programs. 2nd, if I did learn more about python and I wrote, say, a vulnerability scanner, what would I do from there? Would I like, upload it to a website and it will run the program on the site, and check for vulnerabilities?
And also, how useful is it compared to other languages, say C+ or perl?
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Post by 0phidian on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 am
([msg=74695]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

You can download python for Mac or any os from python.org. The code executes at every line because you are entering it into to interpreter, click file>'new window' in idle to get an editor where you can save your scripts.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 am
([msg=74697]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

Check out the book Violent Python (there are pdfs on the web). It will help you get started with writing vuln scanners and it will explain why they are useful and how to use it.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:00 am
([msg=74698]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:there are pdfs on the web

I can't seem to find any. Could you tell me what to search for?
Thanks.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:56 am
([msg=74702]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

A certain Bay of Pirates carries it. But that might only be a questionably legal method.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:20 pm
([msg=74704]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

Thanks.
With six strikes out though, I'm going through Tor a VPN to get it.
Not that I'm pirating it or anything :?

EDIT:
Wow, looks like quite a nice book :)
Last edited by 3vilp4wn on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by thehackertoyou on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am
([msg=74719]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

Ok sweet, I figured out how to use IDLE, yay! And that book looks really good, i'll have to get it... Thanks! but back to my last question, how useful is python for hacking as apposed to other programming languages? Like, say, C (and C#, C++) perl, lisp, java etc.
thehackertoyou
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm
([msg=74720]see Re: Programming languages[/msg])

Depends what you are hacking. C and C++ take longer to code in. Perl is okay but I'm pretty sure python is quicker. Java is much like C and C++ but slightly faster to code, but slower to run.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Programming