Very Serious Question

Wired and wireless telecommunications networks and devices

Very Serious Question

Post by jbur6523 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:30 am
([msg=14749]see Very Serious Question[/msg])

So I'm in a pretty bad situation and I was hoping to get these 2 questions answered. Is it possible for text messages to be retrived from a phone if they have the serial number of the phone, but don't have the actual phone itself. The person trying to retrive the text messages would be police department level. (If its possible). Also I have a lock on my phone so you cant get on it unless you know the code. Is it possible to hack the password or is a master reset the only way to get past the password? Any knowledge on this would be very much appreciated.Thank you in advance.
jbur6523
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Very Serious Question

Post by Orion001 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 am
([msg=14751]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

Im pretty sure that the police can get all ur phone call/SMS history purely by your phone number.
The police just call up your service provider(eg. telstra, vodaphone) and tell them your phone number and get all your records (which your service provider stores, i believe). They just need to tell them that they are the police, and your phone history could be used as evidence etcAt least, I am pretty sure that this is the case. As too the lock, im sure there must some way of getting into it. (hook it up to your computer, then try brute force on the lock).
Orion001
New User
New User

Post by anonHacker on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 am
([msg=14755]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

A simple point, but it might be helpful to call your phone manufacturers' support line.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ImToast on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:26 am
([msg=14756]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

Orion001 Lives in Australia.... I could tell because you said Telstra, and Vodaphone.
ImToast
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Orion001 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
([msg=15152]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

ImToast wrote:Orion001 Lives in Australia.... I could tell because you said Telstra, and Vodaphone.

Good work, yes i do :P
Isn't Telstra international? Anyways, nice observation skills ;)
Orion001
New User
New User

Post by sidebottom on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 am
([msg=15530]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

Anything on your phone is far from secure and can (and probably will) be used against you in a court of law. As for SMS:

http://news.cnet.com/Police-Blotter-Ver ... 21503.html

It may not be that well known outside of police and telecommunications circles, but odds are excellent that your mobile phone provider saves copies of your SMS text messages.
In addition, a judge in the Kobe Bryant sex case ordered the phone provider to turn over archived messages. Text messages were also part of the trial involving the attempted murder of rapper 50 Cent.

Get yourself a good lawyer.
sidebottom
Poster
Poster

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am
([msg=19861]see Re: Very Serious Question[/msg])

i know this is an old thread, but i wanted to post anyway

1. I cant be sure as to any other countries laws, or providers (i know australlia got mentioned) but as far as in the U.S text messages are stored by the provider. With a warrent (and thats a point no one has brought up yet) the police has EASY access to your text messages. They also have access to your call history too (and dont think recieving calls by a private number will protect you, in order for phones to work the phone company has to know what number is calling you, thus the police can get access with a warrent)

As far as a master reset goes, im confident every company has one (although i obviously cant speak for every company) although im pretty sure most require it to go back to the manufacture to do. Although considering the nature of your first question, im pretty sure you're afraid of the police, in which case they can do it pretty easily
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Return to Telecommunications