A friendly challenge.

Random things go here

A friendly challenge.

Post by xDrAwkwardx on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm
([msg=73019]see A friendly challenge.[/msg])

Hey, everybody.
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread, but it seemed so to me.

My two roommates and I have been talking about taking up hacking, but just between our own computers. I have heard that some of the steps one takes in order to hack can actually make their computer more vulnerable to other hackers. I'm not sure if this is reliable informaion, if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, the scenario we want is to be completely vulnerable only to eachother. This way we can hack eachother while trying to keep from being hacked. It's basically a troll war we're all agreeing to. We're all pretty new, so it might be a while yet before we can get anything interesting to happen.

The main question I have is what resources have you found helpful (especially when you were first beginning)? I'm pretty new to it, and honestly I can't say I know where to start. I'm prepared and willing to study scripts, and coding, and whatnot, but I've only recently began dabbling in command prompts and source codes (the site missions are awesome by the way, i cheated on 4 though).

Hopefully, someone could shed some insight to get me started.
Thank you!
xDrAwkwardx
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A friendly challenge.

Post by 0phidian on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm
([msg=73024]see Re: A friendly challenge.[/msg])

Code: Select all
I have heard that some of the steps one takes in order to hack can actually make their computer more vulnerable to other hackers. I'm not sure if this is reliable informaion, if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

Not neccicarily, I think there are a few tools, at least on windows, that you may have to disable your firewall to use or some tools such as netcat may be considered malware by your anti-virus so your av would need to be disabled. Just to be safe you should probably set up a LAN among your machines that is isolated(Not connected to the internet) while performing said hackery.

-- Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm --
Sidenote, it will probably take quite a while before your ready(know enough) to start atttacking each others machines.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by WallShadow on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm
([msg=73029]see Re: A friendly challenge.[/msg])

xDrAwkwardx wrote: ...

Welcome to HTS,

I'd say that yes, you can make your computer more vulnerable in the process of studying hacking, but you can also avoid it. I know that studying hacking, I've run and installed hundreds of programs for various computer tech reasons, at least half of which from unknown sources. Though it can be avoided, I think it's simpler to just trust your own logic, ollydbg, and reinstalling everything if something goes wrong.

As for a start, I found that this site in combination with google, and several books ("Hacking: the Art of Exploitation" is one that's helped me tons) (read up on the books sub-forum to find some good ones). I also found that a good background in programming really helped me.

And if you are just in it for the fun of it, look up the metasploit project. It's essentially a one-click hack, very script-kiddy, but it's much simpler to whip it out at anyone challenging you and insta-hack them rather than take days or weeks to recon the target and then perform a series of well planned (or not so well-planned) attacks.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm
([msg=73030]see Re: A friendly challenge.[/msg])

xDrAwkwardx wrote:Hey, everybody.
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread, but it seemed so to me.

My two roommates and I have been talking about taking up hacking, but just between our own computers. I have heard that some of the steps one takes in order to hack can actually make their computer more vulnerable to other hackers. I'm not sure if this is reliable informaion, if someone could clarify I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, the scenario we want is to be completely vulnerable only to eachother. This way we can hack eachother while trying to keep from being hacked. It's basically a troll war we're all agreeing to. We're all pretty new, so it might be a while yet before we can get anything interesting to happen.

The main question I have is what resources have you found helpful (especially when you were first beginning)? I'm pretty new to it, and honestly I can't say I know where to start. I'm prepared and willing to study scripts, and coding, and whatnot, but I've only recently began dabbling in command prompts and source codes (the site missions are awesome by the way, i cheated on 4 though).

Hopefully, someone could shed some insight to get me started.
Thank you!

I recommend all three of you to read this post I made a while back on where to start:
Link

I would suggest that you try and learn by reasearching and meeting up every weekend on lan. I say this becuase sometimes you need to open ports to accomplish certain exploits over wan which could be dangerous for a beginner. If you are opening your machine up for your friends, you are greeting the world into your machine as well. In summary, that's why I said meet up on lan.

To answer your question, yes if you are just now learning, and changing things in your system to make some exploits possible; it can easily be exploited in return, if you do not have a clear understanding of what you are doing.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by xDrAwkwardx on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am
([msg=73071]see Re: A friendly challenge.[/msg])

Okay. So I hit a bit of a snag today doing the old cmd in sethc clothing trick. I got it to work. I changed my friends password. The issue I'm having is that somehow after erasing the hidden cmd, sethc made a new copy of itself under the original name. I want to show my friend what I did, but I can't remove or change the name of the new sethc without permission from trusted installer.

Nevermind, I figured it out. :D
xDrAwkwardx
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 am
([msg=73072]see Re: A friendly challenge.[/msg])

Here is a helpful hint:
Dual boot your Windows os with Backtrack
If your friends only have Windows, you already win.

Once you get Backtrack read up on meterpreter sessions, and when you meet up on LAN, get them to run your meterpreter session, there are tons of ways to do this.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to Off-Topic