Looking for a "proper" news channel

Random things go here

Looking for a "proper" news channel

Post by qkken on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm
([msg=71344]see Looking for a "proper" news channel[/msg])

First, I will tell you a short story. One year during college i lived in Tehran, Iran. This was at the when some people had make these pictures or Mohammed and the Muslims were pissed off. I didn't really notice any of this while in Iran, and didn't hear any of my Iranian friends talking about it either. Iranian new year came and went with crazy home made fireworks and stuff but nothing unusual. When i came home to Norway for Christmas all my friends asked me how it had been. They asked if i had been afraid for my life, being Norwegian all. I cot confused, and asked why i would have been afraid for my life. They said they had seen on the news that the Iranians where pissed off and where going crazy over this Mohammed thing. I got even more confused, thinking i had been missing out on some pretty important stuff!

Later that day i talked to my mum about it, and she showed me a newspaper. On the front page of that newspaper there was a picture of the Norwegian embassy burning, and i thought to my self "what bullshit is this?". I drove by the Norwegian embassy almost every day on my way to school! I never saw anything like that! On another news paper there was this report on a large number of protestors outside the embassy. I had never heard anything about that either!

When i came back to Tehran i asked around a bit, asking at the embassy, trying to figure out what was up. What i found out was this:
The picture of the embassy burning was just some home made fire-work that had landed in the windowsill of the embassy, no big deal.
The large group of people protesting actually happened, but it was common knowledge that they had paid some poor people from the southern region of Tehran to do it. For which they got a free meal, a bus ride and some coin.

After this i have pretty much avoided the media, never knowing what they lie about. I Knew most of the media put their own twist to the story, but i never knew it was that bad!

But avoiding the news pretty much puts me in the dark, so i am on a quest. I want to find a news channel where i dont have to filter out so much of the bullshit, and not have to analyze the report to find out what actually may have happened.
I have found some that are better than others, but i am still not satisfied.

Any ideas/comments?

sorry for the wall of text ^^
qkken
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for a "proper" news channel

Post by limdis on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm
([msg=71345]see Re: Looking for a "proper" news channel[/msg])

Wow crazy story! Unfortunately, rendering through the bs is all part of the game with the media. Your best bet is to view the same story through many different outlets. Good example would be USA Today vs The Washington Post. 80% of time they have the same title of an event but entirely negate details that the other has mentioned.

So, if you want a collective location for news events I suggest starting here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/ for top rated and http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/new/?sort=new for the latest.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by NewVoxel on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 am
([msg=71362]see Re: Looking for a "proper" news channel[/msg])

Try out the Fox news channels. I stay up to date on all the latest current affairs with this credible news source.
"Don't include a single line in your code which you could not explain to your grandmother in a matter of two minutes."

And of course... assume your grandmother is not Ada Lovelace.

http://www.newvoxel.com/
NewVoxel
New User
New User

Post by qkken on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 am
([msg=71391]see Re: Looking for a "proper" news channel[/msg])

limdis wrote:Wow crazy story! Unfortunately, rendering through the bs is all part of the game with the media. Your best bet is to view the same story through many different outlets. Good example would be USA Today vs The Washington Post. 80% of time they have the same title of an event but entirely negate details that the other has mentioned.

So, if you want a collective location for news events I suggest starting here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/ for top rated and http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/new/?sort=new for the latest.

Thanks! I'll check them out. I guess your way is one of the better ways of getting more reliable information these days. Critical thinking really should be a bigger part of the education..
qkken
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic