Anti-social?

Random things go here

Anti-social?

Post by 0phidian on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:41 pm
([msg=70859]see Anti-social?[/msg])

This is kinda random but I was just curious, you know how the stereotype is that hackers are generally pretty anti-social in person, well how about you HTS?
I have to admit I am generally pretty anti-social. In person I'm usually extremely quite and reserved, just taking stuff in. I do almost everything alone. I dont social network or anything like that, the closest thing is posting stuff to strangers here on HTS. I have very few friends and non of them are very close, or really even know me though. I am generally pretty content to just be alone. I generally hate small talk, especially with random people who I dont know and will probably never see again. Also the social convention of greeting someone and asking how they are doing, I feel is almost always a pointless waste of time.
So hts members are you outspoken, social butterflies or do you think the majority of social interaction is a completely meaningless waste of time?
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Anti-social?

Post by limdis on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm
([msg=70861]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

Almost complete opposite, I can get along and talk with anyone. Actually, very very few people I know irl know anything about my "hacker" activities at all. Most don't know I even have an interest in computers and technology. But I prefer it that way. The one thing we are on the same level on is that I like my free time to be solo. So I can do whatever I like to do without someone watching or distracting me. Plus the peace and quiet is nice. I can literally go days without any social interaction at all and be perfectly content.
Unless I'm drinking, then I'm quite the entertainer lol.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by not_essence2 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm
([msg=70862]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

I'm not one to be popular in school, I have friends, but other than that, not really. Going to someone else's house isn't something I do very much, I don't go out with friends that much, zero accounts on social network sites (Too afraid of a dox, somehow and I don't see the point for me). Dates? Forget it.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by shdwcat on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 pm
([msg=70883]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

I used to be the guy with friends till thing happened in the past and I dropped all my friends. I was in the Army for 5 yrs and had a few friends I still talk to online but none live around me now. But yeah I dont do the social thing but I think that is do to people want to know what I have seen in Iraq and all this shit I dont want to relive. I keep to myself now. I am also that guy that is very blunt. If I dont like you I will let you know. I think I dont have time to do any meeting with anyone due to 3 kids, a wife, I go to college, and all my VA doc appts. When I am home I just enjoy playing World of Warcraft and getting online to see if there is anything new to learn or talk about.
shdwcat
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 am
([msg=70888]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

I find it interesting that people who profess to have no interest in others or think that basic interaction is a waste of time, still consider THEMSELVES interesting enough that other people should be happy to hear about them.

That isn't me trying to be funny, I really do find it interesting. It's all about ego and the re-affirmation of how we see ourselves. I have been 'lucky' enough to undergo two massive shifts in personality. When I was young I was hugely outgoing, very confident, sociable and pretty popular, I then had a bit of a 'nervous breakdown' which took me nearly 10 years to recover from, during which time I was an almost complete loner. Now i have a happy medium, I love talking to people, you can learn a lot from the most unlikely sources but you also learn not to be surprised, why shouldn't other humans have something important to tell you? It also feels good to just be nice to someone and pass the time.

Like limdis I also value my alone time very highly (as we all probably do), whether it be at the computer screen or going for a hike somewhere deserted, its made all the more precious by being in contrast with daily life.
But y'know it takes all kinds....

NB: imo having friends is really good for you, having someone to discuss opinions with, someone to bitch at, someone to draw inspiration from, get drunk with and laugh at is good for the soul. Just don't expect too much from someone, too many people expect their friends to be superfriends, to die for them and be there at the drop of a hat. Why should they? this isn't a movie and your friends have their own shit going on too. Just be thankful for what you got.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by 0phidian on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:44 pm
([msg=70900]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

edone automaton wrote:I find it interesting that people who profess to have no interest in others or think that basic interaction is a waste of time, still consider THEMSELVES interesting enough that other people should be happy to hear about them.

That isn't me trying to be funny, I really do find it interesting. It's all about ego and the re-affirmation of how we see ourselves..

I really wouldn't consider myself interesting enough to talk to. What little I have to offer is completely irrelevant to most people. I feel that people are wasting their own time by talking to me most of the time.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by not_essence2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm
([msg=70908]see Re: Anti-social?[/msg])

0phidian- But say that someone argues that if people thought they were wasting their time talking with you, they would've already left the conversation?
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Return to Off-Topic