We lost Demonoid

Random things go here

We lost Demonoid

Post by limdis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 pm
([msg=68605]see We lost Demonoid[/msg])

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-busted ... nt-120806/

Their servers are in custody. That means the tracking information is also in custody. To those that used demonoid, there is so much foul play here / the time to initiate your 'save my ass' procedures is right the hell now.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: We lost Demonoid

Post by WallShadow on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 pm
([msg=68606]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

Hmmm, what would you do to 'save my ass' in this situation? You're not gonna be able erase any data from demonoid's databases if they keep any, and I personally wouldn't skip town for a year just because of this. What would you recommend in this situation limdis?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 pm
([msg=68608]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

Depending on how big of a downloader you were really depends on how far this should be taken. But the fact that your IP is now in custody you need to ensure that you don't go down for something. If all you ever do is download a movie here and then you should be alright. I can't see a lot of effort being put in to going after the casual user, though it does happen. But I would ensure that in a worst case scenario those movies/music/files are not ever found. So either delete them entirely, or transfer them from your computer and make sure they can't be easily found.

If you are in a deep then a fresh OS instal is in order along with opening up a host for TOR relays to cause confusion. This is also a prime example why you should always have a backup hardrive available and preloaded for the quick swap and go. An IP address can lead back to your house but an IP is not an identity. No evidence, no conviction. Additionally I would suggest stop torrenting for a little while just to play it safe.

I'm not saying anyone here at HTS has done any illegal downloading. I'm just saying in general obviously.
limdis

Post by WallShadow on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:58 pm
([msg=68610]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

limdis wrote:Depending on how big of a downloader you were really depends on how far this should be taken. But the fact that your IP is now in custody you need to ensure that you don't go down for something. If all you ever do is download a movie here and then you should be alright. I can't see a lot of effort being put in to going after the casual user, though it does happen. But I would ensure that in a worst case scenario those movies/music/files are not ever found. So either delete them entirely, or transfer them from your computer and make sure they can't be easily found.

If you are in a deep then a fresh OS instal is in order along with opening up a host for TOR relays to cause confusion. This is also a prime example why you should always have a backup hardrive available and preloaded for the quick swap and go. An IP address can lead back to your house but an IP is not an identity. No evidence, no conviction. Additionally I would suggest stop torrenting for a little while just to play it safe.

I'm not saying anyone here at HTS has done any illegal downloading. I'm just saying in general obviously.

The TOR relay is for what, to confuse anyone into thinking that it might have been done by someone else, just piped through your IP? Also, don't they manage to arrest people just by tracing their IP's? I'm pretty sure that during some DDoS raids, people were arrested just by having their IP's traced to them.

This is starting to look like a pattern, first mega-upload, now demonoid. What's next? The Pirate Bay?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am
([msg=68611]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

Yeah, the TOR relays would be entirely for the confusion and possibility that it could have been someone else.
But normally what happens is that your ISP is contacted with a copyright violation and then your ISP sends you an email stating which movie/file you were caught downloading and then proceed with the next steps in resolving the issue. I have a copy of one these emails that a friend of mine got one time, I'll have to dig it up. You can ignore it really and it will probably just go away. If it was serious enough your house simply gets raided and digital forensics will be the decider on your guilt. Which is why you should plan for worst case scenarios.

But you are right. This is strange. Something is afoot here...
limdis

Post by PlanetaryAlchemy on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 am
([msg=68612]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

Heard about this earlier today, was actually happy that I forgot the password over a year ago and haven't bothered to do anything and have moved away from that state/city and roommate.
I had a budgie once..
He was blue..
He said it was cause he was lonely.
PlanetaryAlchemy
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 pm
([msg=68661]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

There are two things I find interesting:
1. Why does the USA have jurisdiction over the whole world when it comes to websites?
2. How can anybody who claims to live in a free country with freedom of speech accept this kind of censorship?

I know, number 2 is easy for me to say, but still...
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 pm
([msg=68665]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:There are two things I find interesting:
1. Why does the USA have jurisdiction over the whole world when it comes to websites?
2. How can anybody who claims to live in a free country with freedom of speech accept this kind of censorship?

I know, number 2 is easy for me to say, but still...

I haven't read the article in question, but I did read about this over on Reddit, and from what I can tell, the servers were seized by Ukrainian officials, not the US.

Anyway, I've downloaded a solid 50 GB from Demonoid, it was a great site for torrenting, but in all honesty, so did several hundred thousand (if not million) other people; which leads me to believe that no action, or at least a very small amount of action will be taken on users of Demonoid.

(Due note that most, if not all of my downloading was perfectly legal, as I use torrents to download several Linux OS's)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 pm
([msg=68668]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:There are two things I find interesting:

Probably has something to do with because they made it and at the end of the day they still consider it theirs. Just a thought.

cyberdrain wrote:2. How can anybody who claims to live in a free country with freedom of speech accept this kind of censorship?

Rights are taken away when illegal actions enter the picture. While I'm sure it was used legitimately by many users, it was just another place to download things illegally and that ruined it for everyone else. The rights were given up for everyone by the latter part of the two.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 pm
([msg=68669]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote: Probably has something to do with because they made it and at the end of the day they still consider it theirs. Just a thought.

Technically CERN (i.e. Sweden) was the first to send a signal between two computers, we just helped develop the first web browser/first Internet-esque protocol.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Off-Topic