New pen-testing device

Random things go here

New pen-testing device

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 pm
([msg=68230]see New pen-testing device[/msg])

Was doing some article reading today and found this one. Looks pretty cool, I'd be interested to see some results or a video on this thing in action. Looks very obscure almost invisible for what it is really intended to do.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/07/pwnplug/
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New pen-testing device

Post by tremor77 on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:14 am
([msg=68473]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

Hidden inside are Bluetooth and Wi-Fi adapters, along with a number of hacking and remote access tools

All well and good for a network that makes those things available. But what about a good old fashioned wired workplace? They should convert this concept into a network managed UPS, that way they can get an ethernet port hookup as well. Or better yet, imagine this as a 1TB network storage drive?
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm
([msg=68481]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

Yeah, from the looks of it it may have an ethernet jack on it on the bottom right side. I've seen some normal surge protectors include this but never really put it to use. My guess is it would act as some kind of extension. Even so, if I seen that I would still be suspicious. As far as remote access goes, I'm guessing you connect to the device and then have access to the network possibly acting as a terminal.

I do like your idea bout a network storage drive though. It seems to fit in and be less conspicuous than a surge protector with an ethernet cable connected to it. Lol, Darpa's next device will be similar just concealed as an office plant.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 pm
([msg=68484]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Darpa's next device will be similar just concealed as an office plant.

O.o

dead or alive?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tremor77 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 am
([msg=68487]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

The Chinese government is WAY ahead of us, and has these devices placed in every government agency and powerful corporation throughout the world. They blend in pretty well, you probably see them often and wish that you had one. They monitor data and information, and sent reports regularly.

So that you may all know better, this is what one of these devices look like:

More importantly, if this device pays attention to you or asks you on a date, it's because your being used as a mark for additional espionage. I suggest tapping it hard and quick, then not using that device again.

-- and no, i'm not referring to the Vaio.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WallShadow on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:56 am
([msg=68494]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

But the main question is, do they break in 10 seconds like all Chinese goods?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PlanetaryAlchemy on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:58 am
([msg=68613]see Re: New pen-testing device[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:But the main question is, do they break in 10 seconds like all Chinese goods?

Thank you sir. That was the laugh I was looking for. One a side note though, using a NAS as an exploitation point is a rather brilliant idea. Imagine if they were given away as gifts and companies/home users installed them on their network.... Damn, I am getting paranoid about my NAS now...
I had a budgie once..
He was blue..
He said it was cause he was lonely.
PlanetaryAlchemy
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic