Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept

Random things go here

Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept

Post by WallShadow on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:50 pm
([msg=67650]see Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept[/msg])

Good day everyone,

I have a simple theory to propose. I was recently creating a website on a free or paid domain provider. The free version offered a limited bandwidth which isn't a problem for small sites like mine, but becomes a greater problem the more popularity you have.

My idea is simple: register to the same provider, say; 10 sites which each host my video game separately. Each of these sites gauges how many visits it has had with a small file on it. Then you create another site from the same provider that serves as the master site. Once a user connects to a master site, the master site queries all 10 of your other sites about how many visits they have already had. The master site then redirects the user one of the sites which has not yet exceeded it's bandwidth limit.

Thus, you've greatly expanded your potential bandwidth. You can create infinitely more of these 'sub'-sites to make almost limitless amounts. The only remaining problem would be that your master site also has a limited bandwidth, which would be used up MUCH slower than the sub-sites bandwidth, but would still eventually be used up. But if you are that popular, why not just go and get some quality paid servers?

Please review and tell me what you guys think. I'm getting a feeling that I've seen this before with many content sharing sites which you connect to one server, but you get the actual images or videos from another server.

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept

Post by anarchy420x on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:16 am
([msg=67654]see Re: Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept[/msg])

I think 4chan does something similar, but uses paid sites and just separates content for faster load times.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Re: Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 am
([msg=67660]see Re: Infinite Site Bandwidth Concept[/msg])

This sounds something like a load balanceer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_balancing_%28computing%29
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Off-Topic