Expression of hatred for Google Chrome

Random things go here

Expression of hatred for Google Chrome

Post by acevic on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 am
([msg=66932]see Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

Yes, you read it correct. Chrome is bs. I recently switched back to Firefox due to huge data losses for that buggy piece of shit. It consumed RAM like crazy, consuming over 100 megs for each process despite having no heavy content loading, crashed every single time I visited HTS and a couple of other sites, closed down suddenly with some long posts I wrote that were not backed up...It's slow as an 80 year old man's constipated bowel movements...I tried everything to fix it. Removed all addons, extensions etc...tried the flash hack, cleared the cache...nothing worked. Now all I need to do is somehow save my history, saved passwords and bookmarks and transfer them to Firefox. Anyone else experiencing similar problems with chrome?
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:27 am
([msg=66939]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

acevic wrote:Yes, you read it correct. Chrome is bs. I recently switched back to Firefox due to huge data losses for that buggy piece of shit. It consumed RAM like crazy, consuming over 100 megs for each process despite having no heavy content loading, crashed every single time I visited HTS and a couple of other sites, closed down suddenly with some long posts I wrote that were not backed up...It's slow as an 80 year old man's constipated bowel movements...I tried everything to fix it. Removed all addons, extensions etc...tried the flash hack, cleared the cache...nothing worked. Now all I need to do is somehow save my history, saved passwords and bookmarks and transfer them to Firefox. Anyone else experiencing similar problems with chrome?

I run firefox and it normally runs nicely at 160,000k - 250,000k, but if I leave it idling for too long it'll climb it's way up to 2,000,000k. At that point, I have to end the process and restart it.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:36 am
([msg=66941]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:I run firefox and it normally runs nicely at 160,000k - 250,000k, but if I leave it idling for too long it'll climb it's way up to 2,000,000k. At that point, I have to end the process and restart it.

I used to have Firefox initially but moved to Chrome due to the RAM issue. I tend to overload on tabs since I browse a lot. At the time the problem was that Firefox used to run all tabs as a single process and a simple issue would bring my entire browsing session down. Also, I noticed that Firefox was a RAM hog and used to consume plenty of RAM. However, I have noticed that the latest version of Firefox has resolved plenty of bugs and can be used as a powerful development tool with its addons without slowing it down as much as Chrome does. Running each tab as an individual process may protect your browsing session as a whole but puts a whole lot of pressure on your CPU as it runs more threads. Overall RAM consumption seemed quite high as well for Chrome. I am currently typing this post now with no lag or issue whereas the same thing would freeze every five seconds on Chrome despite having no other tab or process running. I'm looking for some addon that can track my browsing and manage my cookies, saved passwords, history and bookmarks so that I can refer to them at any point of time. I tend to research plenty and my history helps me keep track of what I saw. I would also love to have a really good password and cookie manager since I find logging in utterly annoying and tend to forget my passwords. And of course, I need an addon for autosaving whatever I type since I want it to be safe from crashes. There should be a browser with a much lower RAM footprint. I'm looking for tweaks to make sure Firefox does not hog RAM like before.
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:27 am
([msg=66943]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

acevic wrote:
anarchy420x wrote:I run firefox and it normally runs nicely at 160,000k - 250,000k, but if I leave it idling for too long it'll climb it's way up to 2,000,000k. At that point, I have to end the process and restart it.

I used to have Firefox initially but moved to Chrome due to the RAM issue. I tend to overload on tabs since I browse a lot. At the time the problem was that Firefox used to run all tabs as a single process and a simple issue would bring my entire browsing session down. Also, I noticed that Firefox was a RAM hog and used to consume plenty of RAM. However, I have noticed that the latest version of Firefox has resolved plenty of bugs and can be used as a powerful development tool with its addons without slowing it down as much as Chrome does. Running each tab as an individual process may protect your browsing session as a whole but puts a whole lot of pressure on your CPU as it runs more threads. Overall RAM consumption seemed quite high as well for Chrome. I am currently typing this post now with no lag or issue whereas the same thing would freeze every five seconds on Chrome despite having no other tab or process running. I'm looking for some addon that can track my browsing and manage my cookies, saved passwords, history and bookmarks so that I can refer to them at any point of time. I tend to research plenty and my history helps me keep track of what I saw. I would also love to have a really good password and cookie manager since I find logging in utterly annoying and tend to forget my passwords. And of course, I need an addon for autosaving whatever I type since I want it to be safe from crashes. There should be a browser with a much lower RAM footprint. I'm looking for tweaks to make sure Firefox does not hog RAM like before.

I would definitely be interested in what you come across. I was thinking of moving to chrome from firefox. There was a third major browser that I forget the name of, maybe that?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:31 am
([msg=66949]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:I would definitely be interested in what you come across. I was thinking of moving to chrome from firefox. There was a third major browser that I forget the name of, maybe that?

If you are thinking of moving to any other browser from Firefox, DONT. I have tested out every major browser inside out and I feel that Firefox gives you the best as a power user. The huge addon collections also help. Safari, Opera an IE9 are absurd, clumsy and inflexible. Chrome is filled with bugs. Firefox has been around long enough to make something that is worth using. Added to a couple of tweaks, you can actually make your browser worthwhile (not to mention security modifications, addons and awesome tor integration). I looked into a lot of tutorials on Firefox modification and am really good at it now. If you want, I can post the tutorials or you can post your connection and computer specs and I can send you a custom configuration for your about:config back end. Moving away from Firefox was definitely the BIGGEST mistake I made at the time. Also, tell me what type of work you use your browser for and I can link you to the appropriate set of addons for you. I use my browser for heavy browsing and development purposes. Firefox fits in perfectly since there are the best developer addons available.
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by edone automaton on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:30 pm
([msg=66950]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

I started using waterfox a few weeks back, its a firefox variant but optimised to run on 64bit systems, which firefox isnt. I have seen some decent speed increases as well as faster startup. And up to now haven't had the 'using too much memory, restart' or whatever it is message that I used to get frequently with firefox. Another good thing is that it automatically imports all your firefox settings and addons etc. if you're running a 64bit system its well worth looking into.

This brings to mind an article I was reading somewhere a while back about the best firefox variants/ alternatives. I will dig it out and post it up, I think it was in some magazine I have.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:56 pm
([msg=66956]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

For the people having issues... Recently, the sessions with the HTS Forums have gone kinda wack. If you leave an HTS Forum page up for too long, and endless script will run and continue to eat up everyone's RAM. Make sure you're leaving the page after you're done. Post back here if that helps at all. But along with that, FF and Chrome are both great browsers. I use Firefox because I'm too loyal to let it go, despite everything annoying that has happened to it since FF 4. And Chrome is a damn good fast, lightweight browser. Don't be hatin ma peoplez.
EDIT: The RAM eating problem has been fixed.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by limdis on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 pm
([msg=66966]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

mShred wrote:For the people having issues... Recently, the sessions with the HTS Forums have gone kinda wack. If you leave an HTS Forum page up for too long, and endless script will run and continue to eat up everyone's RAM. Make sure you're leaving the page after you're done. Post back here if that helps at all. But along with that, FF and Chrome are both great browsers. I use Firefox because I'm too loyal to let it go, despite everything annoying that has happened to it since FF 4. And Chrome is a damn good fast, lightweight browser. Don't be hatin ma peoplez.

This. I was just confirming if this was the case. I was running into this problem and was about 80% sure it was due to the forums page being open.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 pm
([msg=66968]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

acevic wrote:If...

I'm running a 64bit system 4gb ram with a wireless internet connection. Internet connection is one floor above me, so I get a moderate signal. I think add on's are cool, but I don't really use them because (from my gaming experience) add on's like to slow systems down. I'm pretty heavy on tabs when I am working or browsing; I probably average 6 open tabs, and peak around 15+. Typically, I leave HTS and FB open, which might be my resource issue. I figured it was FB constantly updating that was hitting so hard, but MShred brought up HTS forums.

edone automaton wrote: ...waterfox...

I'm going to look into that, thanks.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 am
([msg=67009]see Re: Expression of hatred for Google Chrome[/msg])

acevic wrote:Yes, you read it correct. Chrome is bs. I recently switched back to Firefox due to huge data losses for that buggy piece of shit. It consumed RAM like crazy, consuming over 100 megs for each process despite having no heavy content loading, crashed every single time I visited HTS and a couple of other sites, closed down suddenly with some long posts I wrote that were not backed up...It's slow as an 80 year old man's constipated bowel movements...I tried everything to fix it. Removed all addons, extensions etc...tried the flash hack, cleared the cache...nothing worked. Now all I need to do is somehow save my history, saved passwords and bookmarks and transfer them to Firefox. Anyone else experiencing similar problems with chrome?

I can't talk about Google Chrome per se, but I can talk about Chromium, the original 'Google Chrome'. In all honesty, I've never had a problem with it on either Windows or Linux and my computer is about 5 years old now with mid-range specs.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Off-Topic