Running too many processes?

Random things go here

Running too many processes?

Post by srstrud on Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 pm
([msg=66532]see Running too many processes?[/msg])

So I use my computer for a lot of video editing and am starting to notice that it is slowing down. I've deleted all unused files and uninstalled all unused programs but it still seems to have no change. I looked in windows task manager and noticed that while I just had Google Chrome open, it said I was running 105 processes.

I know that this isn't normal so i'm asking for help on what to do to reduce this amount
srstrud
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Running too many processes?

Post by limdis on Tue May 22, 2012 6:53 pm
([msg=66533]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

I've got 90 going atm, but I also have a lot of things running too. If you are using windows run msconfig, it's likely due to everything being set up to run on startup.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue May 22, 2012 7:24 pm
([msg=66534]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

Many things could be causing your computer to slow down. From memory to temp files building up, not defragmenting in a while and even running a scan disk for errors could help you out. I would start where limdis told you in msconfig and uncheck everything you don't need to run during startup. If you are unsure of what something is, you can always rely on your good ol' friend google.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by srstrud on Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 pm
([msg=66535]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

limdis wrote:I've got 90 going atm, but I also have a lot of things running too. If you are using windows run msconfig, it's likely due to everything being set up to run on startup.

I've already unchecked what I don't need at start up, ran defrag, disk cleanup, and all of the other things mentioned in my first post :/
srstrud
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Tue May 22, 2012 7:38 pm
([msg=66536]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

Could be a malware problem. That's the next thing I'd check. Disconnect from the net and run some AV and good old spybot (or similar).
limdis

Post by srstrud on Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 pm
([msg=66537]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

lol I can't believe that wasn't the first thing I thought of. I'll give it a shot. Cross your fingers for me

-- Tue May 22, 2012 11:34 pm --

Just did a full scan using kaspersky and found nothing...i'm getting upset
srstrud
New User
New User

Program to test CPU speeds?

Post by srstrud on Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 am
([msg=66540]see Program to test CPU speeds?[/msg])

Hey everyone, I've been experiencing some slowness in my laptop lately and I use it daily for video editing. I've checked/done everything that I can (deleted files, uninstalled programs, ran disk cleanup, defrag, scanned anti virus...etc)

I was wondering if anyone knows of a program or website that can test if your CPU is running the way it should or compares it to the speeds of a regular "out of the box" CPU?
srstrud
New User
New User

Re: Program to test CPU speeds?

Post by anarchy420x on Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 am
([msg=66543]see Re: Program to test CPU speeds?[/msg])

This is very similar to your last post. It does have a different topic, but you could have asked this in your last post instead of creating a new one since they parallel so closely.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 am
([msg=66556]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:This is very similar to your last post. It does have a different topic, but you could have asked this in your last post instead of creating a new one since they parallel so closely.

Agreed, merged.

srstrud, have you tried running a registry cleaner? I know diagnostic performance tests can be run on graphics cards but I'm not sure about your whole machine.
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 am
([msg=66559]see Re: Running too many processes?[/msg])

You can try ccleaner for registry at the following site:

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3001-18512_4-10315544.html?spi=4914f08c091a508f802e0c11a72b7813

Also for extra files on your pc laying around I use something called privacy mantra located at the following link:

http://www.codeode.com/privacymantra.html

Just remember to backup before you rid of any of the registry files. CCleaner will as you so you don't have to do it on your own. After that, go to my computer, right click on the c:\ drive and go to properties. Click on the tools tab and check off "check now" under error-checking. Make sure both boxes are checked, hit ok to schedule a scan at the next restart. Restart pc and wait a little while it scans disk for errors.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Off-Topic