Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......

Random things go here

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm
([msg=66126]see Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

Came across this article today and thought it would make a good topic. Let me know what you think.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57428067-83/fbi-we-need-wiretap-ready-web-sites-now/

-- Fri May 04, 2012 3:15 pm --

I see a rise in encrypted communications arising lol if this happens.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......

Post by WallShadow on Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm
([msg=66129]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

This has so many flaws that I don't even know where to start.

1. This is blatantly unconstitutional.
2. If they install backdoors for the government, the smarter part of hackers will be able to use the backdoors for their own purposes.
3. Country boundaries; if I develop an IRC client in, for example, Australia, my software wouldn't require a backdoor while allowing residents of the US to use it. It'll turn into the same situation as with the PirateBay right now...
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -A10101P- on Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 pm
([msg=66135]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

WOW this world is coming to an end.......when they make the backdoors for social networking websites like facebook , please tell me so i can delete my facebook account permanently and all my email accounts.
"Trust no one, believe nothing"
-A10101P-
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm
([msg=66177]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

This is the part that made me laugh:

"If you create a service, product, or app that allows a user to communicate, you get the privilege of adding that extra coding," an industry representative who has reviewed the FBI's draft legislation told CNET

I enjoy that they think monitoring us 24/7 and forcing us to code in backdoors is a privilege. Also, if I was forced to code in a backdoor, I would release all of the information being monitored via that backdoor. So, whatever the FBI see's, the world would know about.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by tremor77 on Mon May 07, 2012 1:43 pm
([msg=66180]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:This has so many flaws that I don't even know where to start.

1. This is blatantly unconstitutional.
2. If they install backdoors for the government, the smarter part of hackers will be able to use the backdoors for their own purposes.
3. Country boundaries; if I develop an IRC client in, for example, Australia, my software wouldn't require a backdoor while allowing residents of the US to use it. It'll turn into the same situation as with the PirateBay right now...

^ This. Especially #2. If I'm an ISP, a social network, etc.. and my business and my profit come from people using my service, any backdoors to this service for any reason better damn well be MY CODE and not something slapped together by FBI programmers, the people who were not quite smart enough to land a high paying job in the private sector. So what will happen, is that someone will say hey.. we need to sub this out... Congressman "so and so's" half-sister's, roomate's, nephew Billy Bob runs a software engineering firm in Kileen, TX... put this out to the lowest bidder and tell Billy what it will take to come in a few bucks under that and we'll throw this project his way.

4 years and $21.3 million dollars later... Billy Bob's Crappy-Soft releases FBI-BD 2.2.01.420 Beta RC 1 written in JAVA on SDK 6 required for use in all major websites and social networks, VOip communications and other areas of national security importance..

- within 12 hours of it's release - links to the source are available on Chinese hack forums..

- within 3 days over 30 million americans have their facebook accounts compromised - pictures of millions of 14 yr old girls in bikini's taking highly pixelated self glamour shots are posted to reddit. The collective Pedo community wanks so hard the world's septic systems completely clog up.

- within a week the government tries to pull the plug on FBI-BD but a rogue programmer at crappy-soft who was actually a chinese plant has installed anti-removal protection and a trojan...

- reports of impropriety of the original project bidding come to light, and congressional hearings are held. Congressman "so and so" is found dead in his bathroom wearing nothing but pink lingerie and a red wig, a half-kilo of coke spilled on the back of the toilet.

- The global markets collapse.. not directly because of this, but instead, because the entirety of the rest of the planet Earth fell down laughing so hard at the morons in the US, they were unable to work that day.

I can see the future.. it's not too late to stop this from happening.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WallShadow on Mon May 07, 2012 2:53 pm
([msg=66184]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

^^^ this made my day XD
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon May 07, 2012 3:13 pm
([msg=66185]see Re: Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......[/msg])

tremor77, very creative. Touché.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Off-Topic