The future of network security

Random things go here

The future of network security

Post by deadcat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:57 am
([msg=65113]see The future of network security[/msg])

Hey all, i'm currently writing a paper for my university about technologies that will change I.T. and computers in general in the next decade. I'm very interested in what people here think will be significant in the security area. For example things like cloud computing vulnerabilities and quantum-cryptography. Any ideas you could throw my way would be awesome. Thanks
deadcat
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The future of network security

Post by WallShadow on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm
([msg=65121]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

I'm no professional on this, but i can tell you that various new fields of vulnerabilities are opening up right now. Process injection has been exploding in the last few years. Exploitations using removable flash drives have been present for a while now. Also, Windows 8 is soon coming out, with a few betas available on the internet, you can research new vulnerabilities in that (maybe even find some yourself?).

good luck man.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deadcat on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm
([msg=65128]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

Hey wallshadow, thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'll be checking that stuff out very soon. I'm very interested to see where people think process injection will go. As for windows 8 though, i don't think that will last a whole decade. But now that you've pointed it out maybe Micro$oft could be a good topic since everyone who's been watching knows windows is on it's deathbed (at least for non-handheld devices) so where will Micro$oft go from there?
deadcat
New User
New User

Post by wan26 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:08 pm
([msg=65129]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

Take a look at quantum information processing, and cryptography, there's loads of theoretical work in those areas and a few practical solutions. Really interesting subjects to dive into as well, I crossed over them by accident in some quantum mechanics lectures. The changes will be immense
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by WallShadow on Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm
([msg=65134]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

deadcat wrote:But now that you've pointed it out maybe Micro$oft could be a good topic since everyone who's been watching knows windows is on it's deathbed (at least for non-handheld devices) so where will Micro$oft go from there?

Although my opinion may be bias, I'd say Windows is far from on its deathbed. Not to completely refute your statement, but Windows is gonna stick around for as long as someone doesn't invent a simpler computer, and mac stays twenty steps behind. Unix is a great thing, but not everyone is a computer genius like us in order to use it. And the thing with handheld devices is that Windows is actually catching up right now. Windows 8, by the glimpse of it that I caught, is an OS designed specifically for handhelds. Although it has compatibility with desktops and workstations and such, it is mainly designed for handhelds.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm
([msg=65138]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
deadcat wrote:But now that you've pointed it out maybe Micro$oft could be a good topic since everyone who's been watching knows windows is on it's deathbed (at least for non-handheld devices) so where will Micro$oft go from there?

Although my opinion may be bias, I'd say Windows is far from on its deathbed. Not to completely refute your statement, but Windows is gonna stick around for as long as someone doesn't invent a simpler computer, and mac stays twenty steps behind. Unix is a great thing, but not everyone is a computer genius like us in order to use it. And the thing with handheld devices is that Windows is actually catching up right now. Windows 8, by the glimpse of it that I caught, is an OS designed specifically for handhelds. Although it has compatibility with desktops and workstations and such, it is mainly designed for handhelds.

From what I gathered, windows 8 had different environment screens. One was more for a touch device with sliding and tapping. Another looked bascially like the windows 7 desktop, and had a file browser, startbar and desktop. I think that idea has potential because it can be a universal operating system, just a quick ability to switch into different modes.

The thing is Microsoft's bread and butter are PC's. Their main threat as of present is cloud computing. So i would definitely have to say new vulnerabilities are one their way. Either that, or just new ways to execute them.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm
([msg=65154]see Re: The future of network security[/msg])

True, but security analysts have been defending Windows systems for a long time now. A few new tricks for us is not the end of the world for them. Though I can clearly see where you are going with that, and I agree that a system which allows quick and automated transfer of files over a very wide network, or possibly even multiple networks is potentially very vulnerable.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Off-Topic