LulzSec

Random things go here

Re: LulzSec

Post by tremor77 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 am
([msg=64879]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

^ Very interesting assumption.

I also noticed how everyone else was attributed to being members of Lulzsec except Jeremy, who was flagged as being a member of Anonymous. And as the Stratfor hacking probably carries with it one of the stiffer single incident penalties... why not pawn it off on someone else.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 am
([msg=64882]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

Kage wrote:Is it possible that his arrest was simply a "wag the dog" maneuver (other hackers planting evidence to assert Jeremy's guilt to divert attention away from them), or a "false flag" operation (under pressure of the federal government, Sabu or others coerced Jeremy into these actions to mitigate one of their own plots)?

Discuss.

The whole thing has shady written all over it. It very well could be true. Looking at the time line of events: Sabu pleaded guilty in August of 2011. The charges that are being brought up against Jeremy are from the December attack against Stratfor. Who knows what went on in between those two dates and if there was a plan beforehand or not.

I find it ironic that Sabu ended up working for the very people that Anonymous was so openly against(In this case the FBI/government). He is still facing up to 124 1/2 years. It will be interesting to see the sentence that is given to him. Any respect I did have for Anonymous has completely been thrown out the window.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 am
([msg=64884]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:I find it ironic that Sabu ended up working for the very people that Anonymous was so openly against(In this case the FBI/government). He is still facing up to 124 1/2 years. It will be interesting to see the sentence that is given to him. Any respect I did have for Anonymous has completely been thrown out the window.

I wouldn't claim that Lulzsec represents the entire movement, only that they are a very vocal, active and public front. Like any large group of people they will coalesce into smaller sets. Anonymous is also a great haven for pre-existing groups to move into for cover. They may in fact not care a thing for the "cause" but merely see it as a window of opportunity for other gains with a plethora of ways to pass things off onto unsuspecting skiddies, who all to often will claim ownership of an awesome hack they didn't even do for street cred.

Compare it to Occupy. People setup camp in protest. Then in moves the bums who have no home. Then in comes the drug dealers and scammers looking to use the gathering to make a quick buck. In comes those with other agendas trying to grab a piece of the spotlight. Soon, the movement is no longer Occupy, but a shantytown full of filth and bile.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:21 pm
([msg=64891]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

Been reading articles throughout the day. Found a little biography for Jeremy and it's interesting.

What's curious to me is that Jeremy is the only one being charged for the Stratfor attack. Is there any indication that Sabu was in on it but is being granted immunity due his collaboration? I'd love to see a copy of the indictments.

Kage wrote:Is it possible that his arrest was simply a "wag the dog" maneuver (other hackers planting evidence to assert Jeremy's guilt to divert attention away from them), or a "false flag" operation (under pressure of the federal government, Sabu or others coerced Jeremy into these actions to mitigate one of their own plots)?

I suppose it could be either one. The details that I've read so far is that it's more like a "false flag" than the other, being that the FBI was monitoring his connection. If the Stratfor hack wasn't already being planned before August who's idea was it to begin with? Sabu's? I read that he was the 'rooter' after all. His job was to find the exploits before the attack's went down.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by tremor77 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:14 pm
([msg=64893]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

^ Exactly. Wouldn't it be considered entrapment if an FBI led 'rooter' presented information to a hacker on a target? That's like putting a cookie out in front of a starving Somalian and saying if you eat that we're going to throw you in jail.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:20 pm
([msg=64911]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

I was hesitant to post this. But for those none reddit affiliates:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXi-oDoM ... AAAAAAAJAA

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the digital age of the wild west...
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by centip3de on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am
([msg=64919]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

limdis wrote:I was hesitant to post this. But for those none reddit affiliates:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXi-oDoM ... AAAAAAAJAA

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the digital age of the wild west...

Oh good, I always wanted to be a cowboy.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by goluhaque on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:31 am
([msg=64920]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/July-2007/The-Hacktivist/

HTS mentioned plenty of times, and I think I read somewhere in this thread about something to the contrary.

EDIT:
Ah yes, found it.

Great reply Kage, very informative. I've trolled the articles and blogs for stuff and found no mentions of HTS anywhere for what it's worth good or bad. I liked this read though. http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... 1ukkh.html
(23:45:03) hauk: I guess you are over the best part of your life when 4-year-olds say "Are you an evil man?"
(23:46:19) hauk: and "Ima punch you in the pecker"
goluhaque
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:56 pm
([msg=64956]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

goluhaque wrote:http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/July-2007/The-Hacktivist/

HTS mentioned plenty of times, and I think I read somewhere in this thread about something to the contrary.

EDIT:
Ah yes, found it.

Great reply Kage, very informative. I've trolled the articles and blogs for stuff and found no mentions of HTS anywhere for what it's worth good or bad. I liked this read though. http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... 1ukkh.html

Ya I wrote that.. a couple 3/4 days ago I wasn't able to find anything printed that mentioned HTS... figured that would change though as reporters got about writing more.. your article is a few years old I was looking to see if there were any ties to HTS in the more recent publications.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RiptideTempora on Thu May 31, 2012 9:57 pm
([msg=66727]see Re: LulzSec[/msg])

Kage wrote:Just something I noticed while reading through all the news articles and other released information:

"After the hearing, as he stood in a narrow hallway, Hammond appeared curious," wrote reporters Todd Lighty and Wailin Wong. "He asked deputy marshals if he could keep a copy of the criminal complaint since he had no idea about the charges until his arrest Tuesday morning."

(Source: Ars Technica)

There's overwhelming amounts of chat logs that were used against Jeremy, but a surprising lack of legitimate evidence. Jeremy was a very profound member of the hacking community, and was one of the most notorious and well-known hackers around, by name. His past is well-known, and everything mentioned which helped "connect the dots" on all the IRC nicknames is common knowledge for anyone who spends a half-hour researching him.

Is it possible that his arrest was simply a "wag the dog" maneuver (other hackers planting evidence to assert Jeremy's guilt to divert attention away from them), or a "false flag" operation (under pressure of the federal government, Sabu or others coerced Jeremy into these actions to mitigate one of their own plots)?

Discuss.

Unless they had a connection between Jeremy's computer and the (allegedly Chinese) FBI server that the Stratfor stuff was uploaded to? They might not have a solid case.
RiptideTempora
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic