Protest Warrior Case

Random things go here

Protest Warrior Case

Post by zealousgelisticastic on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 am
([msg=32733]see Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

Well this is probably completely off topic and uncalled for but i was just reading up on Jeremy Hammond after reading Goatboys post in the Nzone and I am so sad. I want to meet him he seems nice and i love his beliefs but in wiki it said after being released from jail he wont be able to participate in HTC for another 3 yrs. And yeaa, i also had a ? apparently he got caught because someone told Protest Warrior about it, if they hadn't told, what are the chances that he would have gotten caught. I'm still a noob so how does one get got hacking anyways?
Currently: Noob trying to master HTML.
zealousgelisticastic
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Protest Warrior Case

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 am
([msg=32734]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

Normally, getting caught hacking is pretty rare. Either you don't mask your IP address at all while hacking a significant target, and they trace you (Still pretty rare unless you did some major damage). Or someone rats you out, the Police get a warrant, take your computer, and collect evidence from it.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by zealousgelisticastic on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:48 am
([msg=32736]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

Oh i see. I have another question, when i was reading the starter guide i read this on one of the links ,
It happened because somebody just dropped a proxy server on their network without fully considering the consequences of their action. They didn't bother to properly design a server access control list, and because it is available on the public internet, a spammer found it and began to use it for their spamming ventures. Quite often a server administrator is very upset at his mistake, and is looking to "pursue each ISP in attempts to track down the guilty parties". Unfortunately, he is ignoring the person who had the most power to prevent this situation. Himself. Live, learn, realize that you made a mistake configuring your server, and get back to working. Unless your business is that of hunting spammers, it really will not be worth your while to waste money and time chasing ISPs and shadows of spam fiends.

Does that mean admins can detect proxies? It kind of confused me.
zealousgelisticastic
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:53 am
([msg=32738]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

I think in the article, they were referring to the guy running the proxy server. Most proxy servers do keep a log of which IP's connect, and which websites they connect to. There are anonymous proxies though, and ones outside of your country of jurisdiction are much safer to use because it becomes harder for Police to obtain search warrants.

You can detect proxies to a point. Depending on how one is configured, it's user-agent might even state it's a proxy. An admin of a website could also write a script that blocks or monitors all connections coming from a list of proxy IP addresses. However, he cannot see the originating IP without the cooperation of the admins of the proxy server.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by zealousgelisticastic on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 am
([msg=32739]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

Ah, completely makes sense. Thank you and kudos for the great explanation. :D
zealousgelisticastic
New User
New User

Post by Defience on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 pm
([msg=32827]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

zealousgelisticastic wrote:Well this is probably completely off topic and uncalled for but i was just reading up on Jeremy Hammond after reading Goatboys post in the Nzone and I am so sad. I want to meet him he seems nice and i love his beliefs but in wiki it said after being released from jail he wont be able to participate in HTC for another 3 yrs. And yeaa, i also had a ? apparently he got caught because someone told Protest Warrior about it, if they hadn't told, what are the chances that he would have gotten caught. I'm still a noob so how does one get got hacking anyways?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's lurking around.... :twisted:
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by zealousgelisticastic on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm
([msg=33292]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

Mwaha, i was thinking the same thing, you cant keep a hacker from hacking. :ugeek:
zealousgelisticastic
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm
([msg=33293]see Re: Protest Warrior Case[/msg])

zealousgelisticastic wrote:Mwaha, i was thinking the same thing, you cant keep a hacker from hacking. :ugeek:

There's a difference between lurking around HTS and hacking =D

IIRC, Jeremy wasn't the one who actually crafted the exploit. He was the one who performed it, correct?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Return to Off-Topic