Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Random things go here

Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by 5i11yn00b on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:26 pm
([msg=32512]see Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

Well the question is pretty self explanatory, and im not just talking about disabling right click, but surfers also have the option of View->view page source, and file->save pg as-> and then opening the source up on a text editor. hehe :roll: ...it seems pretty impossible but myself, being a noob im just looking for a solution, and im talking about , stickam.com user acct. in particular. TY.
5i11yn00b
New User
New User
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by turbo420 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:28 pm
([msg=32514]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

I am a noob also, but I know that code can be placed on the server and only addressed by the web page, in a way where you can not get the server code. Some of these more experienced guys can probably say how to do it. I only know about it because I have found pages where they did this.
turbo420
New User
New User
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by sanddbox on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:35 pm
([msg=32515]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

No, you cannot disable view page source.

The users are downloading your webpage. It is on their computer. You cannot prevent their browser from viewing source.

...Besides, why you want to disable viewing of the source? Security through obscurity NEVER works, and if you left a password in the comments or something you need to remove it.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by 5i11yn00b on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 pm
([msg=32520]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

Lol, no its not a password, but ty.
5i11yn00b
New User
New User
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by Goatboy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 pm
([msg=32528]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:...Besides, why you want to disable viewing of the source? Security through obscurity NEVER works, and if you left a password in the comments or something you need to remove it.

They probably just did Basic 4, in which case it's a pretty understandable question.

turbo420 wrote:I am a noob also, but I know that code can be placed on the server and only addressed by the web page, in a way where you can not get the server code. Some of these more experienced guys can probably say how to do it. I only know about it because I have found pages where they did this.

Yea, this is called Server-Side Scripting. Basically, you send some values to the server, it does some magic with said values, and sends you back the result. It's like a vending machine: money goes in, food/drink comes out, but you don't need to know (or see) how it works. I could extend the analogy more to include vulnerabilities in both systems, but this is sufficient for now.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
19JAW6GabFHqe9yD9rr26QL3W3V2pNitbD
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by sanddbox on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:29 am
([msg=32554]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
turbo420 wrote:I am a noob also, but I know that code can be placed on the server and only addressed by the web page, in a way where you can not get the server code. Some of these more experienced guys can probably say how to do it. I only know about it because I have found pages where they did this.

Yea, this is called Server-Side Scripting. Basically, you send some values to the server, it does some magic with said values, and sends you back the result. It's like a vending machine: money goes in, food/drink comes out, but you don't need to know (or see) how it works. I could extend the analogy more to include vulnerabilities in both systems, but this is sufficient for now.


To clarify for noobs - there is still an html file generated. Whether a site uses server side scripting or not, you will still be able to view the source of the HTML.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?

Post by Defience on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:03 pm
([msg=32825]see Re: Is there any way to disable "view page source"?[/msg])

5i11yn00b wrote:Well the question is pretty self explanatory, and im not just talking about disabling right click, but surfers also have the option of View->view page source, and file->save pg as-> and then opening the source up on a text editor. hehe :roll: ...it seems pretty impossible but myself, being a noob im just looking for a solution, and im talking about , stickam.com user acct. in particular. TY.


Here's a link that might help understand it:
http://www.felgall.com/htmlt4.htm
User avatar
Defience
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron