What's In a Name?

Random things go here

What's In a Name?

Post by Goatboy on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:31 am
([msg=30811]see What's In a Name?[/msg])

Since I constantly find myself having to explain where my name comes from, I thought I'd share it here so I can just reference this thread instead of having to say it over and over. That said:

Many years ago when I still went to church, a group of the other kids decided to host a talent show for a fundraiser. There were singers, dancers, singer-dancers, magicians, jugglers... and then there was us.

The girls in our group decided to put on a play of Dr. Seuss's "Green Eggs and Ham" for our act. While they were busy getting volunteers, I was gathering materials to build a makeshift set. Clearly, I did not intend to actually be in the play.

As fate would have it, they had run out of people to volunteer and there was still one part left: The Goat in the boat. And obviously, when they thought "Goat," they thought of me. :|

From that day on, I was known as Goatboy. I resented it at first, thinking the same thing most people think of when they hear the name. Over time, the name grew on me and I was soon responding to it as if it had been my name since birth.

I would later go on to date the girl who originally gave me the name, she would be the best thing that ever happened to me, and consequently she would leave me out of the blue almost two years later for someone else, but that is another story for another time.

Fueled by a new mix of spite, anger, hate, and many other emotions I cannot begin put into words, I decided to keep the name as a sick little reminder that I can only ever trust myself.

So now that you know how I got mine, how'd you get yours?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What's In a Name?

Post by faazshift on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:46 am
([msg=30813]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

It was a personal decision years back. I came up with it and decided I liked it. Plus its entirely unique. I pronounce it like 'phase-shift', but others seem to pronounce it with a short 'a' sound. Anyway, ive just stuck with the name ever since.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Monica on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:48 am
([msg=30814]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Birth certificate.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 am
([msg=30815]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

faazshift wrote:It was a personal decision years back. I came up with it and decided I liked it. Plus its entirely unique. I pronounce it like 'phase-shift', but others seem to pronounce it with a short 'a' sound. Anyway, ive just stuck with the name ever since.

I have seen you around but never paid much attention to your name. I thought it was "fashizit" until just now.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:30 am
([msg=30816]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I have seen you around but never paid much attention to your name. I thought it was "fashizit" until just now.

Haha... nice.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Defience on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:09 pm
([msg=30938]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Goatboy, your story brought a tear to my eye. I think that should be made into a movie :(. With my nick I am constantly having people tell me that it isn't spelled correctly. Well...it IS spelled correctly. It's a nick! How do you misspell a nick?! Yes, the actual word 'defiance' is spelled with an 'a' and not an 'e' but I'm not using it in a sentence......it's a nick. I first used it years ago as a username on some lame computer game. I looked at it like it was a play on the word itself--that by not spelling it the traditional way, it was in a sense being defiant. You know....NOT following the rules?
I even asked some others on HTS at one point if I should change it to an 'a' but they all said no, they liked it the way it is so with that...it stays.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 pm
([msg=30942]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Defience wrote:Goatboy, your story brought a tear to my eye. I think that should be made into a movie :(. With my nick I am constantly having people tell me that it isn't spelled correctly. Well...it IS spelled correctly. It's a nick! How do you misspell a nick?! Yes, the actual word 'defiance' is spelled with an 'a' and not an 'e' but I'm not using it in a sentence......it's a nick. I first used it years ago as a username on some lame computer game. I looked at it like it was a play on the word itself--that by not spelling it the traditional way, it was in a sense being defiant. You know....NOT following the rules?
I even asked some others on HTS at one point if I should change it to an 'a' but they all said no, they liked it the way it is so with that...it stays.

Damn, I really need to start reading names closer. Never realized you spelled it wrong until now =\
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm
([msg=30943]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Damn, I really need to start reading names closer. Never realized you spelled it wrong until now =\

See Goatboy...there ya go, sayin' it's wrong :evil:
:D :D :D
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:29 pm
([msg=30944]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

Defience wrote:See Goatboy...there ya go, sayin' it's wrong :evil:
:D :D :D

RAWR
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Defience on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:38 pm
([msg=30963]see Re: What's In a Name?[/msg])

^bump for more responses. I'm also curious as to how some people came up with their nicks.
Defience
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Off-Topic