10 years

Random things go here

10 years

Post by Goatboy on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm
([msg=78179]see 10 years[/msg])

Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 10 years

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:32 pm
([msg=78180]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

God damn.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Tentra on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 pm
([msg=78182]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

This is bullshit.

Most pointedly, Hammond suggested that the FBI may have manipulated him to carry out hacking attacks on “dozens” of foreign government websites. During his time with Anonymous, the loose collective of hackers working alongside WikiLeaks and other anti-secrecy groups, he was often directed by a individual known pseudonomously on the web as “Sabu”, the leader of the Anonymous-affiliated group Lulzsec, who turned out to be an FBI informant.

Not that I support the actions Jeremy took, but it just wreaks of entrapment. I feel like the FBI just used Sabu to nail as many activists as possible. The word "Hacking" is just jammed into this case as much as possible to benefit from the stigma. He used Parallels PLESK, apparently just a remote desktop application, hardly hacking in my opinion.

He even signed the plea agreement and they still gave him the maximum sentence, not that he's a first time offender, but 10 years for leaking documents seems extremely harsh. On top of that, he will be on probation for 3 years after his release.

I've also heard that the judges husband was a client of Stratfor.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, I'm just extremely upset with the the way the government handles these things, rather than address the problems these activists are so passionate about, they just punish them with the full weight of the law and silence any supporters.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm
([msg=78183]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

Tentra wrote:He even signed the plea agreement and they still gave him the maximum sentence, not that he's a first time offender, but 10 years for leaking documents seems extremely harsh. On top of that, he will be on probation for 3 years after his release.

He did a little more than just leak documents, but I agree wholeheartedly that 10 years is a bit much. He'll be nearly 40 when he gets out. On the other hand, he knew what he was getting into and especially with his record and fame I am not surprised they threw the books at him. On the other other hand, <nohomo>I am pissed that he did this because we finally got him back and now he's gone again.</nohomo>

Tentra wrote:I've also heard that the judges husband was a client of Stratfor.

I don't think many other judges would have been more lenient on him, but this still pisses me off that it was allowed. Bad precedent.

Tentra wrote:I have no idea where I'm going with this, I'm just extremely upset with the the way the government handles these things, rather than address the problems these activists are so passionate about, they just punish them with the full weight of the law and silence any supporters.

Those issues the activists are passionate about? Yea, that's the government itself.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Kage on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:19 pm
([msg=78187]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

First: https://www.hackthissite.org/news/view/657

Secondly,

Tentra wrote:I've also heard that the judges husband was a client of Stratfor.

No, worse. Judge Preska's husband worked for Stratfor at the time of the hack and his data was included in that which was compromised. She could not have been more directly involved herself unless she was actually working for Stratfor as well, which is entirely possible.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by hellow533 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:00 am
([msg=78189]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

Tentra wrote:This is bullshit.

Most pointedly, Hammond suggested that the FBI may have manipulated him to carry out hacking attacks on “dozens” of foreign government websites. During his time with Anonymous, the loose collective of hackers working alongside WikiLeaks and other anti-secrecy groups, he was often directed by a individual known pseudonomously on the web as “Sabu”, the leader of the Anonymous-affiliated group Lulzsec, who turned out to be an FBI informant.

Not that I support the actions Jeremy took, but it just wreaks of entrapment. I feel like the FBI just used Sabu to nail as many activists as possible. The word "Hacking" is just jammed into this case as much as possible to benefit from the stigma. He used Parallels PLESK, apparently just a remote desktop application, hardly hacking in my opinion.

He even signed the plea agreement and they still gave him the maximum sentence, not that he's a first time offender, but 10 years for leaking documents seems extremely harsh. On top of that, he will be on probation for 3 years after his release.

I've also heard that the judges husband was a client of Stratfor.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, I'm just extremely upset with the the way the government handles these things, rather than address the problems these activists are so passionate about, they just punish them with the full weight of the law and silence any supporters.

It does seem like entrapment, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it in a federally involved trial. Unless he thinks the supreme court will overrule the previous verdict (which wouldn't happen since there really isn't much give for claiming constitutional injustice).

As for your remote desktop claim, anything that deals with illegally gaining access to another person's property or information is going to be considered hacking. If someone breaks in my home by cutting the locks off my gates and bursting my front door open, to breaking in through a window, to opening my front door by wiggling the handle slightly because the lock is loose, it's going to be seen as breaking and entering.

I also believe he was coerced in to this plea bargain for no reason. If he decided to plea not guilty he might have had the case thrown out because nobody wants to hunt down all evidence and people involved. I remember one court case I read about where a guy was questionably coerced by police, and when he plead not guilty they threw it out. Especially on the federal level, right now not even the inspector general's office is investigating anything other than the real high players, because everyone is losing manpower and money.

Honestly, it's 10 years in prison for breaking the law, and he accepted the plea bargain he took. If he wasn't happy with the plea bargain he was pressured in to he should have pleaded not guilty. They didn't have evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and a jury could have given him more than a mile of leeway. Not only that, but while they say "max sentence" with the way the prisons are flooding over and funding being shit on, he may end up being out on condition before Obama's term is over. Some dude handy with a computer will be moved out if they can make room for someone who commits fraud on a massive scale, has social power (gang members/leaders) or generally has any kind of backing that will allow them to continue to commit crimes. I'd say about 5 years max, house arrest for 5 more on condition he doesn't touch a computer within those 5 years.

This is what I gather from wasting an associates on Criminal Justice.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 pm
([msg=78207]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:If he decided to plea not guilty he might have had the case thrown out because nobody wants to hunt down all evidence and people involved.

ohboyherewego.jpg

Getting the evidence would not be a hunt, it would be a trip back to the buffet for seconds. I don't think there is a valid not guilty plea in here. Have you read the affidavit?

hellow533 wrote:They didn't have evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and a jury could have given him more than a mile of leeway.

See my previous point.

hellow533 wrote:Not only that, but while they say "max sentence" with the way the prisons are flooding over and funding being shit on, he may end up being out on condition before Obama's term is over.

He may be out, but not for that reason. If prisons get crowded they just adjust internally. Trust me, the staff gets a good chuckle out of making prisoners' lives miserable.

hellow533 wrote:Some dude handy with a computer will be moved out if they can make room for into the same cell as someone who commits fraud on a massive scale, has social power (gang members/leaders) or generally has any kind of backing that will allow them to continue to commit crimes.

Fixed that for you.

hellow533 wrote:I'd say about 5 years max, house arrest for 5 more on condition he doesn't touch a computer within those 5 years.

I tend to agree.

hellow533 wrote:This is what I gather from wasting an associates on Criminal Justice.

I tend to agree.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hellow533 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 am
([msg=78229]see Re: 10 years[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:URL

Nah, I must have gotten some sketchy information. Either way, he should be out in 5, unless he starts a fight club and starts shanking people.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Off-Topic