Programming Group

Random things go here

Programming Group

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:45 pm
([msg=77524]see Programming Group[/msg])

I basically had an idea that I was wondering if anyone else here would be interested in. I find myself working on all kinds of programs, websites, etc, but I am not certified, I do not have a degree, I am self taught, etc. What I would like to do if anyone is interested, would be to possibly start up a channel in IRC where we could get together as a development team and work on open source projects. We could debate ideas for new programs, talk about our strengths/weaknesses do code reviews, and more. The point would be to gain experience working with a team, and to help build up a portfolio of works. This would be something we could all do on our spare time, but I wish for the people on the team to be active and to try and help out when possible. We would probably have one main account set up on github or similar, so that we can all push/pull/fork from the program/project.
Let me know what you guys think, and why.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming Group

Post by UltimateVolkov on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:11 am
([msg=77525]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

I have very little knowledge but If allowed I would like the opportunity to sit by an learn a few things. I wouldn't say much seeing as a have very brief knowledge but being able to watch as a program was created would help me gather info on how the code works, and how great minds come up with the ideas.
UltimateVolkov
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:47 am
([msg=77526]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

I would get involved but to be honest, i don't have the commitment for stuff like this. I'm still thinking i should get into your hang man challenge but like... I spend enough time on my computer as it is :D I will make myself available as a a general adviser or whatever. Most programmers, i think, only know how to jump into the main function with both feet with no grasp of the bigger picture and quickly find themselves stuck. The planning of the project is fundamental and shouldn't be overlooked. UML motherfucker, do you use it!?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 0phidian on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am
([msg=77528]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

I would definitely like to participate. The amount of free time I have varies from week to week, but I should still be able to be fairly active. What kinds of projects do you have in mind? Also, I know it depends on the specific project, but what languages do you plan on using? I can write just about anyhing, but my strongest languages are c++ (Qt for gui apps), python, and java, just fyi.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:59 am
([msg=77529]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

UltimateVolkov wrote:I have very little knowledge but If allowed I would like the opportunity to sit by an learn a few things.

This is completely acceptable! I wouldn't discourage or block anyone from the possibility of learning or expanding their current knowledge!

pretentious wrote:I will make myself available as a a general adviser or whatever. The planning of the project is fundamental and shouldn't be overlooked. UML motherfucker, do you use it!?

Having a good algorithm before starting on your code is very useful. If you just jump in and start coding, you are a 'coder' if you break down the problem and have your solution figure out before starting your code, you are a 'programmer'. It would be good to have someone that could probably create small little code charts on discussed topics or pseudo code though, I like that idea.

0phidian wrote:I would definitely like to participate. The amount of free time I have varies from week to week, but I should still be able to be fairly active. What kinds of projects do you have in mind?

Of course, free time is subjective to change for everyone at given weeks/days. I'm not really trying to force people to come in and code 50 lines of code a day. If it's just simply coming in every other day and just staying on track and discussing projects/ideas, and randomly coding when you have the time and pushing changes to the project, that as well is fine. As of now, I don't have any projects in mind, I would like to see what the majority of us can come up with and that we can all agree on and enjoy coding. I don't want it to feel like work for any body; just a place to get a feel for group coding, working on commenting their code because it's important when working together, creating a portfolio of your work to show off, etc.

Ophidian wrote:Also, I know it depends on the specific project, but what languages do you plan on using? I can write just about anyhing, but my strongest languages are c++ (Qt for gui apps), python, and java, just fyi.

Right, this will be subjective to the problem we are trying to accomplish. I know my share of good local programming languages, my c/c++ is rusty I'll admit. My strong points are going to be in Ruby/RoR/PHP/JavaScript/MySQL (If you want to include databases xD) and most of the things that can be tied into web development. I'm still a fairly rounded programming and I do not only program web based application. However, I do need to sit down and fully learn some functional programming language albeit I've been told otherwise.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by tremor77 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:15 pm
([msg=77541]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

pretentious wrote: The planning of the project is fundamental and shouldn't be overlooked.

The 80/20 rule. 80% of the time spent in design, outline and early documentation.. its makes the coding effort fly. I know this know.. I used to be a jump in feet first kind of programmer. I'd like to hear a couple ideas for an end product... perhaps a useful extension to an existing framework, preferably something that could be made use of right here on HTS
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm
([msg=77545]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

I have a channel registered now, it's #programming
If anyone needs help getting an IRC client to connect just let me know. To those scared about your IP being revealed, etc: hts uses a cloaking system with 3 individual cloak keys which will mask your IP.
I would like to go ahead and attempt to get some people to idle in the channel, discuss some things, I will probably keep an outline of ideas from everyone, etc. As of now, there isn't a whole lot of people so, let's just bare with and see what happens! :D
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Amazingred on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 am
([msg=77607]see Re: Programming Group[/msg])

Like the idea. I would love something like this. I could prolly be a bit of help sometimes too so i'll be around the irc channel for a while.

Quick Background:
I'm great with apps programming, logical program mapping, and user interface design. Done the most focus in goal oriented problem solving. Worked for a startup as part of a code team where we we didn't write the specific software code for whatever it was we were making, we just handled the problem solving/decision priorities/limited AI stuff when it was needed and then integrated that into the developer's code. Code mostly in C++, ruby, perl, VB sometimes, and lately a whole lotta python.

Crap I'm Lurnin....which means i suck at it....
anything WEB.....
such as....
site design,
any kind of encryption for the most part,
java
php
networks
etc.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Off-Topic