Identity Theft

Random things go here

Identity Theft

Post by Jester87 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:26 am
([msg=77266]see Identity Theft[/msg])

With millions of victims each year I am a little surprised that companies which deal with personal information from customers is not handled seriously, especially at the lower levels where there is direct interaction with consumers. Below is an experience I had a while back and the actions I took to help mitigate the problem at a local rental store of a national company.

I did a short term 6-month contract with a company several states away and rented an unfurnished apartment. I went to a store to rent some furniture for my stay and while filling out the paper work I noticed that they had a box for your social security number. I asked if this was mandatory and the person at the counter said yes. I inquired if they need to run a credit check and they answered that no credit check is performed, but they use the social security number as a "file number". I pressed the issue a little more and the manager came out to explain they only use the social when they have to send a report to the credit bureaus for people that fail to pay.
That seemed to be somewhat reasonable in dealing with people that blatantly don't want to pay for things. I inquired further about what they do with applications that don't get approved and how the ones that are approved are kept on file are stored and disposed of. The manager didn't like the questions and told me it's none of my concern. When my application gets tossed in the trash and someone picks it up and sees all my personal info it is my concern. It's a big key to anyone's financial ability.
I called the HQ of the company and after a few days I was able to speak with someone that seemed fairly knowledgeable and informed me that applications are supposed to be shredded when no longer used. I attempted to obtain permission from the person to perform a test to validate the process but they were unable to give me the approval to do so. I then proceeded to speak with the local law enforcement about my concern and what I wanted to do in order to confirm the local staff was adhering to company policy but they gave me the run around and told me to talk to the company about that. Sad to say, it was an anti-climatic end and I never was able to determine how the shop handled the proper care of sensitive customer information.

So what are people's thoughts on the issue of identity theft? Should store employees be held accountable, the personnel at HQ, or both? Do you think careless attitude in handling personal information come from a lack of knowledge or the idea that it "can't happen in my town" / "that's only a problem in big cities". I welcome all opinions and criticism.
"As you get older three things happen. The first is that your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two..."
Jester87
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Identy Theft

Post by 0phidian on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:05 pm
([msg=77269]see Re: Identy Theft[/msg])

Do you think careless attitude in handling personal information come from a lack of knowledge or the idea that it "can't happen in my town" / "that's only a problem in big cities".

Partly naivity, but mostly laziness.
Should store employees be held accountable, the personnel at HQ, or both?

I think the local managers are at fault for not following company policy, but the companies themselves need to have and enforce the policies.
With millions of victims each year I am a little surprised that companies which deal with personal information from customers is not handled seriously,

It would be nice if laws were actually made with the peoples best interests in mind.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Off-Topic