I need help to continue learning.

Random things go here

I need help to continue learning.

Post by TooNerdAster on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:15 pm
([msg=76603]see I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

Hi everybody, I'm trying to learning Python and I started reading "Violent Python". Using search function I found out that many of you recommended it so I tried to learn Python reading it. The only problem is that it often refers to penetration test related things (I think that they are something similar but I could be in mistake :\) and I understand almost nothing to be honest. For example in the first chapter he says that he would use as an example to introduce basics "a vulnerability scanner that connects to a TCP socket, reads the banner from a service, and compares that banner against known vulnerable service versions".
So I would ask you: where should I start from to understand what he's talking about? And, more important, where I could learn MORE of what I would normally need to understand things written in the text? Oh, well, think that I'm a newbie (noob if you prefer :P): I am not (completely) stupid, so I can probably understand everything that don't requires in-deep competences, but simple guides would be appreciated ;)

PS: I think that it is a too big topic to simply search it on the Big G, so please don't answer me linking Google home page or lmgify.

Thanks

Aster
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
TooNerdAster
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I need help to continue learning.

Post by 0phidian on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 am
([msg=76606]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

I would recomend learning the basics of programming and security before starting with violent python, you have to have a solid foundation to build upon. I actually have not read this book but it sounds like it would be good to know some python before hand.

Also while googling things that you dont understand try breaking them up. For example:
"a vulnerability scanner that connects to a TCP socket, reads the banner from a service, and compares that banner against known vulnerable service versions"
Find out what is a vuln scanner? What is a socket? What is TCP? What is a service banner? What is a service vulnerability? ect.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by TooNerdAster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:11 am
([msg=76609]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

Thank you Ophidian for your answer. I understood that Violent Python is too difficult for me now... I'll look for a simpler book (by the way, if you have some ideas it would be awesome :D) (The most difficult thing I've build in Python it's the game "Rock, paper, scissors" with the possibility to play also with the variant "Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock" , so my competences aren't really outstanding :oops: ).
I'll also try to google what I don't know part-per-part. If I really don't understand a thing I would (maybe) ask again here :)

See you next time

Aster
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
TooNerdAster
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:34 am
([msg=76610]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

I have learned python in the past (Haven't programmed in it in forever so it's terrabad now)
However, I did read into some of violent python as well, and from my personal opinion, it's not a good book to start learning how to program with. It's a good book that will teach you how to program tools that will help you hack. It will help get you thinking in the mindset of what kind of tools you should be building to find exploits/vulns, etc.

I would recommend you to visit codecademy.com and try their python course. It's pretty hands on, and will help you learn at a much faster pace. This is because they put you in an environment where you are coding while learning, which is going to help out much more than just reading something.
Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by TooNerdAster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:53 am
([msg=76611]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

Many thanks Ninjex, I'll try it: It seems to be an interesting site, I'll use it also for JS and PHP later :D

By the way, I also tried to learn something about protocols and the network world in general using Wikipedia (God bless Wikipedia). The problem is that when I'm learning something the page refers to something else that I don't know: so I click it and I try to learn it instead to be able to come back to the first page and learn more complex things. The problem is that it seems to be an endless chain and I really don't know where to start from. I mean, there will be a moment when I will need all that knowledge to continue to new topics: is that moment really afar from me and I can come back later or it would be better to read about it now?

Thanks

Aster
TooNerdAster
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:16 am
([msg=76613]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

Try and slow it down a bit and finish learning what you can.
For example, in programming, they may introduce you to something new, and say "Don't worry about this, basically know that it's doing blah blah blah"

Code: Select all
<?php
class Person {
var $name;
var $age;
function Person($age, $name) {
$this->age = $age;
$this->name = $name;
}
function details() {
echo "Hello, I am $this->name and I am $this->age years old!";
}
}
$bob = new Person(20, "Bob");
$sarah = new Person(12, "Sarah");
$sarah->details();
$bob->details();
?>

I could say, don't worry about the code in the class block, just understand that it's creating a new person when we call $var new Person, and that $var->details() is calling the details function on $var. We will talk about what the code above is doing later. (This is probably a bad example, but the point is the same)

Essentially you can learn what you need to learn, without having to know everything else behind it. You operate a computer, but do you know how the cpu/registers/etc work? If you answered no, it's because you don't have to. However, when you become more advanced, it will be something you want to learn later.
Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by TooNerdAster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 am
([msg=76614]see Re: I need help to continue learning.[/msg])

Thanks, the example was perfect. Now I'll probably study a bit on codeacademy and then I will read Violent Python: in this way, knowing already something about Python, I could focus on other things introduced by the book and in this way I will only integrate everything with my previous knowledge. Now it's clear but one day ago it wasn't (also if I don't know why), so I have to thank you guys for your support.

Aster
TooNerdAster
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic