Free Penetration Testing Class?

Random things go here

Free Penetration Testing Class?

Post by kenizl_86 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:59 am
([msg=76420]see Free Penetration Testing Class?[/msg])

Hello,

I was browsing the web-inet one day and started wondering if there could possibly be any free, online penetration testing class? I looked around and found a few, but I was wondering if maybe some of you have any good preferences/references? I would possibly like one that is built for the beginner, but has a lot of info to get you started.

Thanks for any feedback!
kenizl_86
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Free Penetration Testing Class?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 am
([msg=76421]see Re: Free Penetration Testing Class?[/msg])

If you look into metasploits free course, there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned there. It allows you to download a free vulnerable virtual machine that you can practice on while going through the course!

You can of course take on the challenges here at hackthissite, which will also teach you a whole lot about hacking as well. In addition, there are tons of CTF challenges that go on that you can participate in to try out some of your new tactics! You have vulerable .iso files you can download and attempt to hack into. You can build web applications to exploit on your own! There is a variety of things you can do to help understand hacking better.

A real question would be, what do you want to learn how to hack?
Websites, Computers, Applications, Reverse Engineer Software (to bypass things like trial periods), Wifi, etc, etc

If I had to tell you to choose one, go with the metasploit course, and download metasploitable to test out your skills!
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by kenizl_86 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:54 am
([msg=76423]see Re: Free Penetration Testing Class?[/msg])

I guess what I'm looking for would be a dirt-basic, how-to-get-up-from-nothing course (but I don't believe there's one out there, just learning a whole buncha stuff about TCP/IP & the way networking works and etc.).

I did some of the basic missions and stuff, but I don't really know enough about javascript and the random things to do them. I guess it would be cool to start out with the simplest of Penetration testing tasks, just so I could feel I accomplished & learned something that could be applied to a variety of situations, and not just that specific one (like in the basic missions).

Thanks for the reply!
kenizl_86
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:50 am
([msg=76448]see Re: Free Penetration Testing Class?[/msg])

Well I think what Ninjex was getting at is that there is a lot of things you could be trying to pentest. Websites, where learning HTML, PHP, Javascript and all that would be helpful. Applications, where Java, C, ASM would be more helpful. Networks, where TCI/IP, other protocols, and all that good shiz are essential.
It's all about what you want to do.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Jester87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:27 pm
([msg=77076]see Re: Free Penetration Testing Class?[/msg])

I think I am in a similar situation like kenizl_86. I have some limited experience going through my degree program and its 99% knowledge based and 1% practical hands on application/experience. My question to those here is if there would be someone willing to take time out of their day to do something like host a WebEx session which would allow for live Q&A. I find myself watching various "tutorial videos" and not understanding what they are doing since there is no audio, or they do certain tasks that I'd like a further explanation of.
"As you get older three things happen. The first is that your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two..."
Jester87
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic