How to recognize the true hacking groups?

Random things go here

How to recognize the true hacking groups?

Post by sabin007 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 am
([msg=76098]see How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

Whenever I search about hackers or something related to hacking, I stumble upon blogs, websites and/or groups that claim that they can hack things and are hackers. Most of the social networking sites(especially Facebook) have groups of people that claim they are hackers and post articles about hacking and hackers.
Majority of them post cracks and serial keys along with few tips or articles that are good to read.

This puts me in great confusion on choosing the right group to follow and learn.

Is there a way to know that the groups, blogs, websites, etc. that claim about hacking are true hackers and they really know how to hack? Or, I have to the hit and trial method?

Any kind of help is appreciated, thank you.
sabin007
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?

Post by hellow533 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:03 am
([msg=76099]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

I wouldn't get involved in any groups or with any people unless they are penetration testing websites, such as Hackthissite, Hellboundhackers (dead), and many others that offer legal and proper tutorials/challenges for you to complete.

I've seen people get involved with the wrong internet crowds, my friend's brother was involved with Lulzsec and ended up getting in loads of trouble. One because he got involved with the wrong people, and two because he was didn't know what he was doing.

Main rule of thumb when hacking anything is don't get caught, and the best way not to get caught is to not do anything illegal. I don't like seeing aspiring young people new to the field of security and penetration getting in with the wrong groups, especially since these groups offer no formal or otherwise training on how not to get caught, or even about what you're actually doing.

That being said, you should be able to give an educated judgement on what is okay and what is not okay. If these groups are offering tutorials and articles on penetration testing (or anything really) and promote education in the field, then go for it. If somebody tries to persuade you to do something questionable or illegal, walk away immediately.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 am
([msg=76101]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

To add onto what hellow said, there are hackers which may be trying to use you. For instance, they may say they are teaching you something or giving you some tool to do x things, but in reality, it's just a scam to have you download a rootkit, rat, backdoor, or w/e else you would like to call it. Once they have this, they can easily use you as an access point to initiate attacks from. Since they would know your handle, probably among other things, it would be easy for this person to frame you.

The same thing goes for these tools that claim to do silly stuff such as hacking a facebook account. While any facebook account can very well become compromised, it would probably not be due to a vulnerability in their site that someone is exploiting. The most common way people manage to do this is via sniffing on their network (assuming they are not using some encryption layer such as ssl) or via social engineering. Also, they will usually ask for some type of personal information like an e-mail / password or both; never release this to anyone, regardless of the situation.

Basically the moral is, just like a quote I have heard.

"Trust no one, question everything."

If someone is not an ethical hacker, I wouldn't waste 1 millisecond of my life trying to become a "partner" with this person. Odds are they will end up doing something malicious to me, or through my network.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by hellow533 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 am
([msg=76102]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

Well said ninjex.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sabin007 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 am
([msg=76103]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

And how do you recognize the ethical hackers or true hackers?
sabin007
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 am
([msg=76104]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

To be honest, you wouldn't be able to. However, groups like HTS that do not support illegal activity, etc are more likely to hold ethical hackers. However, we have a fair share of gray / black hat hackers. Same as large groups of unethical hackers may have ethical hackers, such as FBI agents. Which, we do have FBI agents running around here as well. It's just a large mix everywhere, so it's best to keep to yourself about what you want to do, and ask your questions in a manner that will lead you to do what you like.
For instance, you don't want to say something like "Will you help me hack Hero Vally Kids websites?", you would want to phrase it a more cunning way, like 'Hey, I had a website that was recently defaced, and was wondering on what the common hacker does when initiating attacks against websites.'

This will do two things:
1. It will allow you to look like you are an ethical hacker.
2. It will help you get the desired information, instead of being turned down by ethical hackers.

We basically have that all around the place. Only trust yourself in a group of hackers, although you make yourself sound ethical, and ask questions which will lead you to do the things you would like to do. This is why many hackers stay to themselves, and don't bother getting involved with other parties. Not to mention, if you do one black hat activity, it's safe to say that you will be spending the rest of your life behind those prison walls.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by brutal_hacker on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm
([msg=76108]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

Learn what you can but do not associate yourself with these so called groups. They have there own ideas on what is right and wrong and what they are doing is against the law. Everything we do on here is within a controlled environment if you start flooding servers your going to get caught its just a matter of time. Most of them do not even know how to spoof packets.

I have checked out these so called groups and there just a bunch a script kiddies who are looking for fame. Don't get me wrong there are some talented people out there you just need to realize what they are doing is against the law and you will ruin your chances of ever getting a job.

Just look at the PayPal 14 - There life is stuck at a stand still while they wait for the answers to what there sentence will be. If you play with the big boys expect to get burnt. This community is built up on the fundamentals of education learning how to one day prevent these kind of attacks. Anyone can take down a server with a few tools. Dont be stupid.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by hellow533 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm
([msg=76109]see Re: How to recognize the true hacking groups?[/msg])

brutal_hacker wrote:Learn what you can but do not associate yourself with these so called groups. They have there own ideas on what is right and wrong and what they are doing is against the law. Everything we do on here is within a controlled environment if you start flooding servers your going to get caught its just a matter of time. Most of them do not even know how to spoof packets.

I have checked out these so called groups and there just a bunch a script kiddies who are looking for fame. Don't get me wrong there are some talented people out there you just need to realize what they are doing is against the law and you will ruin your chances of ever getting a job.

Just look at the PayPal 14 - There life is stuck at a stand still while they wait for the answers to what there sentence will be. If you play with the big boys expect to get burnt. This community is built up on the fundamentals of education learning how to one day prevent these kind of attacks. Anyone can take down a server with a few tools. Dont be stupid.

Well said out, a lot of people try to play in the big league and get hit hard. Most of the people you see getting caught had no idea what the hell they were doing, which is why they ended up getting caught. Don't let people try to tell you that you won't get caught either, because you probably will.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Off-Topic