Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1

Random things go here

Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1

Post by XDarkPhoenixX on Sat May 11, 2013 5:43 am
([msg=75546]see Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

I feel bad for anyone not able to do that test.. Especially when the help section thing is intentionally misleading. You don't need to know HTML to pass the first test.. Edited out. Sending n00bs to a HTML tutorial when it probably wont help them because they go to it thinking they need to learn HTML, is mean. They wont know what they are looking for.
XDarkPhoenixX
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1

Post by pretentious on Sat May 11, 2013 8:23 am
([msg=75551]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

XDarkPhoenixX wrote:I feel bad for anyone not able to do that test.. Especially when the help section thing is intentionally misleading. You don't need to know HTML to pass the first test.. Edited out

what you are reading though is HTML...
XDarkPhoenixX wrote:Sending n00bs to a HTML tutorial when it probably wont help them because they go to it thinking they need to learn HTML, is mean. They wont know what they are looking for.

the challenge is meant to introduce you to some basics of the language. If you don't learn the language, you're just wasting you time.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 pm
([msg=75557]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

XDarkPhoenixX wrote:I feel bad for anyone not able to do that test.. Especially when the help section thing is intentionally misleading. You don't need to know HTML to pass the first test.. Edited out Sending n00bs to a HTML tutorial when it probably wont help them because they go to it thinking they need to learn HTML, is mean. They wont know what they are looking for.

And, I feel bad for you. Learning the core fundamentals of how everything is working is key. Without knowing how something works at such a small level, you definitely will not understand how something works at a larger scale. You have to take steps and learn piece by piece. What you stated makes you sound like a complete script kiddie, all pun intended. The help section has never been misleading, and it will help push people into the direction they need to understand the inter workings of why the challenge worked, etc.

You are two posts in and not showing any respect. HTS is the best site that I know of to learn about hacking, on a great scale. Show some respect and be courteous. It's fine to voice your opinion, just do it on subjects where you actually understand what you are saying before hand.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat May 11, 2013 4:27 pm
([msg=75559]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

Please don't post spoilers to missions, even if they are not in that topic. Anyways, how would someone know to look at the source if they didn't know anything about html? They might not even be aware it's there if they are having trouble with basic 1. I don't feel bad for them, I look at is as a first step into their journey. Everyone has to start somewhere.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by cluele55 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:29 am
([msg=75561]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

I hate the term "n00bs." It is condescending and implies that a person who is new to something has absolutely no brain cells. I'll guess that there are a lot of people who show up to this site with no prior programming experience and think that they'll magically become hackers overnight. However, I would think that the majority come here out of genuine interest and eagerness to learn. I suspect many people come here already programmers and looking for ways to apply it and practice. A person new to hacking is not necessarily a computer "n00b."

My interpretation of this site is that it provides guidance to those who want to learn by offering hints, games, tutorials, links, blogs, forums....really more tools than you can hope for. The Basic 1 challenge assumes and expects nothing of the user. It's like the person arrives and says "I am new to computer language. Where to I start?" So Basic 1 tells the new person that they need, at the very LEAST, an understanding of HTML. It doesn't matter how much HTML they use in the challenge. They have to understand it. They have to be able to read it. If the person is not new to HTML (or any other language), that person will get through Basic 1 with very little direction. If the person IS new, then they will walk away with some valuable knowledge.

Don't ever feel bad for someone who over-learns. It's a good thing.
cluele55
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 pm
([msg=75568]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

^ +1

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm
([msg=75680]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

I came to HTS with no experience in hacking, and yet after looking at the thread about basic one asking how to view the source, got it instantly. If I didn't know HTML, I wouldn't have been able to do that. Not learning HTML is just stupid.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm
([msg=75688]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

3vilp4wn wrote:I came to HTS with no experience in hacking, and yet after looking at the thread about basic one asking how to view the source, got it instantly. If I didn't know HTML, I wouldn't have been able to do that. Not learning HTML is just stupid.

I agree, looking at the source code of a page is a great way to footprint, learn about a site, and see what exploits may be relevant there. Without this, you are basically just going in half blind.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Jester87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 pm
([msg=77077]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

As a hacking " n00b" I enjoy reading all of the suggestions on here. Is it overwhelming, a little, but if you want to "eat an elephant" you need to do it one small bite at a time. That being said, I have yet to pass the first basic test. I get frustrated as time goes on, but we all learn at our own pace. And with the fact that I'm trying to do this all on an "iMad" makes me wonder if I'm going about it the wrong way **opening up myself to barrage fire here**. I'm sure i'll figure it out eventually, if not I've got a $400 frisbee that will be tossed in an hour...
"As you get older three things happen. The first is that your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two..."
Jester87
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm
([msg=77078]see Re: Feeling bad for n00bs on Basic test 1[/msg])

Jester87 wrote:As a hacking " n00b" I enjoy reading all of the suggestions on here. Is it overwhelming, a little, but if you want to "eat an elephant" you need to do it one small bite at a time. That being said, I have yet to pass the first basic test. I get frustrated as time goes on, but we all learn at our own pace. And with the fact that I'm trying to do this all on an "iMad" makes me wonder if I'm going about it the wrong way **opening up myself to barrage fire here**. I'm sure i'll figure it out eventually, if not I've got a $400 frisbee that will be tossed in an hour...

The first mission is all about HTML; how to read it, how to -ahem- find and read a websites HTML -ahem-, and so on. Keep plugging away and you'll get it.

That said, you can notice that nobody has posted in this thread in months. Please don't necro dead threads.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Off-Topic