Learn programming in ten years...

Random things go here

Learn programming in ten years...

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:04 pm
([msg=75083]see Learn programming in ten years...[/msg])

Was reading through some articles yesterday and came across one about learning and mastering a programming language. Made me think about how writing code and hacking in general is basically a patience required environment and how everyone that starts out wants to be a master hacker by tomorrow night.I also thought about some of the people that post on the forums and say they've learned x language in 2 weeks blah blah blah.

Besides that, there's some pretty good tips for new people just starting out with programming.

http://norvig.com/21-days.html#answers
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learn programming in ten years...

Post by hellow533 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm
([msg=75085]see Re: Learn programming in ten years...[/msg])

I've never *mastered* a programming language, but I have all I need to know to get me around for my field of work. It shouldn't take you more than a few months per language to get a very strong hold over it, at least for what you want to do with it.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:53 pm
([msg=75087]see Re: Learn programming in ten years...[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:I've never *mastered* a programming language, but I have all I need to know to get me around for my field of work. It shouldn't take you more than a few months per language to get a very strong hold over it, at least for what you want to do with it.

That depends completely on a few factors:

1. What language you're learning - I want to see the man who learned Haskall in a couple months.
2. What you're going to use it for - Through massive projects such as game development, operating system development, language development, etc. you use the language in a completely different way than most people would, making it a bit more difficult to find help and resources on the subject.
3. How many you've learned - At my point in the game (programming for 6-7 years now (which is nothing)) I can learn and be fairly competent in a language in about 2 months of developing in only that language. However, many people who are new to programming cannot go that quickly, and it may take 7-8 months before they're fairly competent.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by hellow533 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm
([msg=75088]see Re: Learn programming in ten years...[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
hellow533 wrote:I've never *mastered* a programming language, but I have all I need to know to get me around for my field of work. It shouldn't take you more than a few months per language to get a very strong hold over it, at least for what you want to do with it.

That depends completely on a few factors:

1. What language you're learning - I want to see the man who learned Haskall in a couple months.
2. What you're going to use it for - Through massive projects such as game development, operating system development, language development, etc. you use the language in a completely different way than most people would, making it a bit more difficult to find help and resources on the subject.
3. How many you've learned - At my point in the game (programming for 6-7 years now (which is nothing)) I can learn and be fairly competent in a language in about 2 months of developing in only that language. However, many people who are new to programming cannot go that quickly, and it may take 7-8 months before they're fairly competent.

That's why I said at least for what you want to do with it. I'm not familiar with haskell, but if it takes you more than a couple months you should start off with something easier.

Again, depending on what you use it for.

I've learned Java, C, and COBOL (and you know, HTML, but that's for another discussion). I've been in to learning programming for about 4 years now, and I can't see a language taking more than 2-3 months.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barneystinson19 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 pm
([msg=75667]see Re: Learn programming in ten years...[/msg])

It's important to know the working logic of the programme you want to make and creating the algorithm very particular. Then you can make it in any language you want by searching the methods in that language you gonna use. Searching is also a valuable skill because it makes you to learn faster. Unless you know what you're going to search for..
"Ömür dediğin üç gündür, dün geldi geçti yarın meçhuldür…O halde ömür dediğin bir gündür,o da bugündür…."
barneystinson19
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Off-Topic