Hack the car with the iphone? - !

Random things go here

Hack the car with the iphone? - !

Post by stealt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm
([msg=74722]see Hack the car with the iphone? - ![/msg])

Sh**! is it real?
how that could happen?
its clearly seen on video that it opens with iphone o_O
hacked through radio or what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7EPFXyjDX8 watch this o_O
stealt
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hack the car with the iphone? - !

Post by WallShadow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 pm
([msg=74723]see Re: Hack the car with the iphone? - ![/msg])

this has been done for years now. the idea is a simple packet replay attack. the owner of the car uses a radio signal to lock his car. if you can catch that, you can read the signal and replay it. by replaying it, the car will immediately open. it's good for getting in, but it won't start the car unless you have a car that starts also by remote (something that i've only seen on extremely expensive cars). I've seen this done before with a laptop while sitting on a bus stop, but with an iphone, that's impressive.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stealt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm
([msg=74725]see Re: Hack the car with the iphone? - ![/msg])

WallShadow wrote:this has been done for years now. the idea is a simple packet replay attack. the owner of the car uses a radio signal to lock his car. if you can catch that, you can read the signal and replay it. by replaying it, the car will immediately open. it's good for getting in, but it won't start the car unless you have a car that starts also by remote (something that i've only seen on extremely expensive cars). I've seen this done before with a laptop while sitting on a bus stop, but with an iphone, that's impressive.

wait!
The radio that iphone works on and signal - are the same?
Dont u need any antennas?
The signals must be secret and codified so as not to be so easily broken.
stealt
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm
([msg=74726]see Re: Hack the car with the iphone? - ![/msg])

stealt wrote:wait!
The radio that iphone works on and signal - are the same?
Dont u need any antennas?
The signals must be secret and codified so as not to be so easily broken.

1. i am always waiting.
2. they should be on different signals, a quick look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_keyless_system and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies shows that they are on mostly different frequencies. though it is very probable that you can mod the phone to use a different frequency either at hardware level or software level.
3. it depends on the hardware, if the hardware already supports the needed frequency, no need for an antenna, but if you're using a laptop, a typical WLAN card probably won't support the 300ish MHz range, as such you will probably need some hardware that can support it and probably along with it, a new antenna. at least that's how i've seen it done.
4. indeed, they do have some security. though that still doesn't mean it can't be broken.

im actually interested in the hardware that he used for that, we can easily assume that a plain old iphone probably wasn't the only thing he had.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stealt on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 pm
([msg=74727]see Re: Hack the car with the iphone? - ![/msg])

WallShadow wrote: im actually interested in the hardware that he used for that, we can easily assume that a plain old iphone probably wasn't the only thing he had.

me too =/
stealt
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic